Do fish get bored or lonely?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dmzAquarius

AC Members
Jan 27, 2004
Visit site
I finally moved my aggressive killifish into a ten gallon all by himself - he was always chasing everyone else around and I felt bad for those getting chased. But now I feel kind of bad for the killi! I've never worried about it before, but now I feel like he's bored and has nothing to do and no real stimulus. I try to give him live food when I can catch it, which he loves, but usually he just gets flake. Now that he's in the new tank, he seems even less interested in flake than before, when there was the challenge of eating everything before any other fish got to it. So, does anyone feel like their fish ever get bored or lonely?

Brian Bivens

Labeotropheus Trawavasae
Jun 8, 2007
Colorado Springs
they definitely get lonely, that is why most fish must be kept in groups to thrive. It may be more of a "safe feeling" then preventing loneliness, but if you keep certain fish by themselves, they may not even survive.

On the converse side, people have kept betas in tight little places and had them live for years, so I guess it depends on the fish.

j_chicago

Usually Drunk
May 12, 2007
Chicago, Il
Real Name
Jason
I have on betta who loves our bedroom because it's quiet and little activity (till we go to bed at least :drool:) On the the other hand, one of our bettas hates being in rooms without activity and only builds a nest when he is on the counter between the kitchen and the living room, where we are most of the time. He constantly watches us and follows us from one side of the tank to the other as we walk back and forth. So I think it depends on the fish's personality.

Some fish like the company of other fish, or humans, and others want some peace and quiet.

dmzAquarius

AC Members
Jan 27, 2004
Visit site
Does anyone know if the Golden Wonder killifish will be alright on his own? I keep reading that they are "community" fish, but this hasn't been the case with this one. He's a bully. I haven't seen any more killifish at my LFS...

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
if you want to add something with him, it really depends on how big the tank is. 10 gallons probably isnt big enough. plus, you should keep golden wonder killis with other fish that are at least the same size as they are, for they have been known to eat fish that arent much smaller.

the fox

And its not only snakes
Aug 13, 2007
South Africa, Cape Town
I feed my oscars the feeder fish every once and a while to keep them from bordem

n0zqh

AC Members
May 2, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA
I sit in front of my tanks each evening and talk to my fish. If I don't I'll know about it the next day from 3 of my fish. On them days I miss the chat, they still get fed at that time just not the chat. I get attitude from my male convict,and my jaguar in the 40g, and a pink convict in one of my 29gs. I think she likes it when I make such a big deal over her babys.

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
Fish can and do get lonely. He is probably wondering where everyone is and feels like he is in the dead sea. I would definetly get him some companions to pal around with. Just make sure they are close in size and temperment and it should be fine. He is wondering why he has been sent to solitary confinement.

Marinemom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store