Do Ghost Shrimp Eat Snails????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
I didn't think they did- Snail eggs maybe- but not actual snails.

Nonetheless, I've read several times in the last few days comments about Ghost Shrimp eating snails- are they really eating snails? Living snails, not just dead ones?

Has anyone actually witnessed this? Or is this just based upon suspicions due to declining snail populations?

I can understand population drops because they eat eggs... but are actual adult snails being consumed. It's not that I don't trust the sources... it's just- the thought of how can fragile little shrimp get into those shells to eat the snails or pry them from their rocks and glass?

Two alternate reasons for population crashes:
1) Shrimp out competing snails for food.
2) Shrimp eating eggs- thus no more babies.

I remain skeptical- but having read about ghost shrimp eating snails several times lately it makes me fear for my baby gold ramshorn (who I haven't actaully seen in 24 hrs) and my new red rams.

Last edited:

Zebulon

Allergic
May 9, 2007
At the Bottom, gilling rapidly.
Since there are many species collectively referred to as ghost shrimp, I'd guess that some are more capable than others at disemboweling a mollusk. The variety I have don't have the claws nor the gumption to go for my baby MTS, but that's not to say that none of them will. I'd assume that those with larger front claws are better equipped for that sort of thing.

Check out the pics in this thread:
http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3173

Note big front claws.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
Wow... interesting- I wonder if the snail were already dead or dying though?

Those don't look the same as the feeder species I picked up at SuperPetz. Mine has less colouration around the head and thorax and lacks that vicious looking claw.

This is day 3 of having them- and I don't know if it is my imagination- but it looks like there might be less snails in the tank- but maybe I'm just imagining it- they couldn't have made a dent in the snail population already... I'll have to rescue my red and gold snails "just to be safe" until I'm sure one way or another.

The snail could just be hiding more now there are fish and shrimp in with them.

Are other dwarf shrimp known to attack snails?

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
lol.

That site talks about ghost shrimp attacking tetras. Mine have never attacked a fish, but I'm pretty sure they eat snails. I've had really tiny neons with the ghost shrimp with no problem. I think they would rather scavenge, and eat baby snails. Like anything, if they are starving, they will go for the bigger prey.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
Early days yet- but mine seem scared by the Danios and Cherry Barbs- they spend the daylight hours hiding. The Danios are psychotic nutters dashing here and there playing with each other. If I were a shrimp I'd be scared of them too.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
Hebily, you mentioned the other day you thought your ghosts ate snails (which is why when I saw on another thread two people claiming the same thing I started this thread).

Looks like your theory might have been right as to the disappearance of your snails- wouldn't have thought the dainty little things had it in them- but I guess they're vicious little killers after all! :)

Are your Ghost shrimp like the ones mentioned on that other site with that claw and colouration- or are yours different. I think mine might be another species- but I'm curious if it's just that type of ghost that is a snailer or if others (such as mine) could be as well.

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
Mine have very faint, red 'stripes' on their heads, and darker red bands on their 'claw' arms. They have claws, but the claws are rather small. I'll try and see if I can get some clear pics when I get home.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store