Do goldfish prefer long tanks or high tanks?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
just about any fish would prefer a long tank vs a tall one, for more swimming room.

melissasroja

AC Members
Sep 28, 2010
Connecticut
Real Name
Melissa
See thats what I would think too. My goldfish tend to not go to the top of the tank often. Regular tank not a high tank. I see a lot of hexagon/octagon tanks though with goldfish and they seem to be happy in them and they look beautiful. Would the larger width make up for the difference in length and height?

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
I 2nd the width vs. height. If I had the choice, I'd take a wider tank over a taller one any day. In fact, since getting the 40 gal breeder, I would take THAT over a 55 gallon any day too. I like the footprint a lot better. JMO of course. :)

melissasroja

AC Members
Sep 28, 2010
Connecticut
Real Name
Melissa
Not sure. A lot of people say not to fill a breeder with water. Long tanks yes. Breeders no. I have a 40 breeder Ive always considered filling but my husband doesnt seem to think it will work.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
many many people here use 40 breeders full of water. not sure where you got your info, but it isn't true.

RiVerfishgirl

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Real Name
Heather
Not sure. A lot of people say not to fill a breeder with water. Long tanks yes. Breeders no. I have a 40 breeder Ive always considered filling but my husband doesnt seem to think it will work.
40 breeder is just a tank with specific dimensions. As long as it's manufactured for fish it's fine. I have one set up right now with saltwater.

A lot of 40 breeder sized reptile tanks are sold, and those are not necessarily made to completely fill with water, and may not be safe to do so with.

The majority of fish would definitely prefer more side to side and front to back swimming room than height. You also get more oxygen exchange from the top on tanks with a large footprint rather than tall tanks with a small footprint.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store