Do Hermit Crabs eat one another?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

benjen

AC Members
Apr 26, 2004
Minnesota (USA)
Visit site
Heh... A topic I know more about than fish at this point...

Male Irish wolfhounds reach 32 to 34 inches tall and are often over six feet long. They can reach 120 lbs, sometimes more.

Great Danes, the next tallest dogs, reach 30-32 inches tall, with a rare few reaching 34 inches. Great Danes tend to weigh between 120 and 200 lbs.

The average adult weight of a male Saint Bernard is 184 lbs, and they do top 200, but they never get as tall as the wolfhound or great dane.

English mastiffs (like I'm wagering the one in the picture is) only have an average weight of 180 lbs, but there are records of them reaching 220 lbs, making them the heaviest dogs. They are also shorter than wolfhounds and great danes.

The North American Grey/Timber wolf averages 30" in height and is all over the place in weight. (Literally between 40 and 175 lbs.) They tend to top out at 3 to the shoulder and 80" long.

In short, a full sized alpha male timber wolf is very dangerous if you force it into a position to fight for its life. One Wolfhound vs. one timber wolf in equivalent health/relative size would be a nasty encounter that I wouldn't wish on either animal, as we have good fences to keep wolves away from livestock.

So... err... what sort of predatory fish hunt in packs? (We can pretend it's on topic.)

EDIT:
Whoops... I was looking at the wrong subspecies. A grey wolf has been measured at 38" at the shoulder. (Not common, obviously.) So wolves are probably still the largest canids by height. Most wolves are considerably shorter, though, and very few of the big heavy ones can still be found in the wild. (The heaviest wolf on recent records was 122 lbs.)

Last edited:

Makaiveli

AC Members
Feb 6, 2004
Seattle
Visit site
-

I saw a leapard attack some guy on tv. They were relocating it, and at the dumping place, it wouldn't leave the cage. So from the cab, out of the drivers-side window, a guy tried pushing/poking it with a stick to get it to move out. That just pissed it off, and shortly later it quickly exited the cage and broke the driver side window and jumped almost all the way in the cab. The guy was able to fight it back out, but not without sustaining serious damage.

I'd like a soft and fuzzy giant leapard, too bad they're too wild and have giant claws/teeth.

That story reminds me of fish. and giant dogs.

skippy2

AC Members
Mar 14, 2004
holland, mi
Visit site
My daughter's neighbor has an English Mastiff that weighs 250lbs!!!! My daughter's 2 labs weigh app. 90lbs. each Thank God for invisible fences.:D

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Allright, guys. This is straying way off topic. Besides, what if someone were interested in wolfhounds? They'd never find it under "Do hermit crabs eat one another?"

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
Heh... A topic I know more about than fish at this point...

I dunno- your info is incorrect :D

Male Irish wolfhounds reach 32 to 34 inches tall and are often over six feet long. They can reach 120 lbs, sometimes more.

Way off base.

benjen

AC Members
Apr 26, 2004
Minnesota (USA)
Visit site
Way off base.

Hmm... I looked at the place I got the info and I don't think the author really knew as much as he portrayed himself knowing by phrasing. :( I've never owned a wolfhound and was going off what I've read. I remembered that this guy listed them as the tallest dogs, but I bet he was going by breed requirements, not real weights. This is what I get every time I don't check additional sources. I should learn.

Some further checking shows that he gave the breed minimum weight as the max weight (grumble). Maybe the 180-190 lbs range is more realistic as top weights? I know that they typically weigh less than the larger great danes, but I did think 120 lbs was pretty darn skinny. If the author was going with breed standards, I'd wager that wolfhounds have been measured more like 36" at the shoulder as well then.

Gah... Throw out my whole post on dog breeds. The gray wolf info is the only stuff that I now trust to be accurate because it came from a very different source.

OK. From my own checking (rather than looking at an author who had summarized it completely wrong):

Wolfhounds: reach 36" and maybe 190 lbs. as a normal dog (with a rare few bigger than that.)
Great Danes: one reached 41.5" and 238 lbs, but most rarely exceed 36" and 200 lbs
Saint Bernards: reach up to 33" and 210+ lbs
English Mastiff: one reached 37", 99" long, and 343 lbs. Most top out at maybe 34" and in the mid 200's for lbs.

I really do know more about canids & other mammals than fish, though I'm shaky on various individual domestic breeds. However, that partly just means I don't know that much about fish yet, unfortunately. :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store