Do I change my Eheim filters for a wet/dry filter in a planted tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hank

AC Members
Mar 9, 2007
I'm using now two Eheim filters on my 120p planted tank. I have zero complaints about these filters. The reason for the change of canister filters to a wet/dry is because I now have problems lifting the filters from under the cabinet, a little too heavy for me. So, I would like to know from your personal experience, do I change from canister filters to a wet/dry filter and don't forget this is a planted tank!

Hank

AC Members
Mar 9, 2007
do you add co2?
Yes. I do inject co2. This was one of my concerns, the amount of co2 that would be wasted, If it is not too much I will consider the wet/dry using an over flow box.

What do you think? Do I forget the wet/dry and keep the Eheims.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
One other possibility is if your stand opening is taller than the height of the filters, you can put a raised platform in the bottom of the stand, put the filters in a plastic tray or kitty litter pan and then just slide them out of the stand.

Hank

AC Members
Mar 9, 2007
One other possibility is if your stand opening is taller than the height of the filters, you can put a raised platform in the bottom of the stand, put the filters in a plastic tray or kitty litter pan and then just slide them out of the stand.
Thank you for the suggestion but like I mentioned before the problem is lifting. Have you ever had experience with a wet/dry filter?

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
CO2 is cheaper than a doctor's bill. I normally wouldn't consider a wet/dry for a CO2 supplemented tank due to the CO2 wastage, but in a case like yours it seems the best solution. Unless of course the CO2 tanks are too heavy as well, since you'll be changing them A LOT more often!

Hank

AC Members
Mar 9, 2007
CO2 is cheaper than a doctor's bill. I normally wouldn't consider a wet/dry for a CO2 supplemented tank due to the CO2 wastage, but in a case like yours it seems the best solution. Unless of course the CO2 tanks are too heavy as well, since you'll be changing them A LOT more often!
SubRosa, Thank you. I swapped a 10 pounder for two 5 pounders. Being that I change the filters every 4 months maybe I hirer a young fellow to do this task for me...

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
If there is room in the stand, use a wet vac to remove some of the water from the canister before lifting it.
Some people use a sliding platform to move the filter forward.

Fishfiles1

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
Lansing Michigan/Mesick Michigan
Real Name
Ben
it would be costly but you could sell or store your current filters, and just get more smaller canisters, they would weigh less, you would need more filters to get the same amount of flow and media capacity, you could also get one big filter like fluval Fx5, that you can drain before taking it out that way it is not as heavy, you could do this when you do a water change so, you don't have to fill the tank for the water the filter takes to fill back up.
good luck with this , I broke my back a few years ago, and some times its hard for me to lift my filters, I just raised them up so I don't have to bend over, I find its not to bad as long as my back is straight, and i believe it gives me a little better flow out of my filters.

Ben

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store