Do I Need to Buy an Aquarium Stand?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dansnyder

freshwater hobbiest
Feb 14, 2011
New York
Real Name
Dan Snyder
I like the look of stands with more exterior elements too. I have a couple that way where I built them with fewer 2x4's and did the "plank" think with cheap pieces of pine on the exterior. Very similar to the stands you can get at the store but MUCH cheaper. I wanted a "beefy" looking stand this time around. Figured I'd try to work with the look of 2x4's instead of hide them this time around. There are tons of different things you can do to better this design too. For instance, my wood slats are not all equally sturdy at the edges of the bottom platform. If I did this over again I would have made the slats 2 inches wider. Also, avoid cross grain gluing and things like that. I didn't use glue in this design though. I was feeling VERY lazy..

Oh, the weight is all on the 4 2x4 posts in my design. It isn't a very clear picture but basically the top is a separate unit that sits on top of the posts which have a notch to accept the top platform. The screws hold it all rigid. The bottom platform is admittedly less load bearing but I didn't plan on putting a 40 Gallon tank down there anyway. Just some supplies and my filter. This design is sortof a waste of space but I like it. It was cheap, either way. Oh, also you can get more usable space for a higher price if you go with finished hardwoods (even the cheap stuff like pine will work okay.)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store