Do otos eat hair algae?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
So the glass on my 15 is covered in hair algae, at least I think it's hair, (I like the look, and my angel picks at it from time to time) and I have 3 otos that I recently added expecting them to contently munch on that, but they don't seem to be touching it. Do they not eat hair algae? If not I'm worried that since it literally covers the glass there isn't enough of the algae they do eat in there (I have algae wafers but I don't want to supplement their diet if I don't have to). Thanks

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
Really? Sad... welp I'll throw a wafer in every couple days to make sure they have enough. Lots of algae in this tank (not something that I allow in all tanks, but its a few layers of really pretty colored green plush algae that I think grew really nicely so I don't mind the look at all) so they should be fine.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
True Siamese Algae Eaters are really the only fish that will put a dent in the stuff.
Not true, Florida Flag Fish and Black Mollies will tear hair algae up.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
In the voice of Jar Jar Binks ----- "Mesa loves some hair algae". :)

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Mollies of any type eat hair algae, it's why my tanks don't have any.

sanjina

AC Members
Apr 26, 2011
Real Name
Cesca
Otos won't eat hair algae, but I'm not sure that's what you have. I've never seen hair algae stick to glass.

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
I think it has a lot to do with the individual fish and other factors. (such as other available food) I have read that NO FISH will eat BGA (Cyanobacteria) but I have a Chinese algae eater that does.

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
Oh really? My assassin snails would avoid patches of gravel that had BGA like it was a plagued area. Cool you have a fish that will!! My otos don't seem to touch the (in my opinion best looking) algae on the glass.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store