Do snails get ich?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sandyB

AC Members
Feb 26, 2007
Worcester, MA
Hi,

I am treating my aquarium for ich and have taken the snail out because the medication said it would harm them. After I treat the aquarium and put him back in, will he introduce ich back into the aquarium? I don't know if snails get ich or can carry it!
:girl:

Shocker6966

AC Members
Nov 5, 2006
Peterborough, Ontario
From what I've read, ich is a common waterborne parasite that is present in nearly all fish tanks. Normally a fish's slime coat protects it from such parasites but when this protective layer is compromised due to illness, injury, stress or poor water quality the parasites have the opportunity to break through the defenses and attach themselves to the fish. Quite likely, the snail will carry ich back to the tank, but assuming your fish are in good health by the time you return it, they should be fine. If you'd like to limit the amount of harmful microorganisms in your water, you could consider adding a UV purifier to your tank.

didy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2007
It's a misconception that the parasite is an ever present, opportunistic one. It has to be introduced into the aquarium, and will die without a host.

Your snails won't get ich.

kmail5776

SR20 Powered
Nov 28, 2005
It's a misconception that the parasite is an ever present, opportunistic one. It has to be introduced into the aquarium, and will die without a host.

Your snails won't get ich.
Oh yeah, that's awesome. I assume the same applies to shrimp (that they con't get ich).

kmail5776

SR20 Powered
Nov 28, 2005
does salt count in the treatment meds category?

RoseFishWatcher

AC Members
Oct 31, 2006
Colorado
Yes, salt counts. Salt is an irritant to snails (in small doses) and harmful in large doses. Small, completely dissolved concentrations of salt are probably ok to use with snails, but to be on the safe side I think all inverts should be removed during any ich treatment. Don't know about salt and shrimp, but again, better to err on the safe side.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store