Do you guys think powerheads are reall necessary?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sg1

AC Members
Dec 23, 2007
Ive got 3 on a 125g tank. They are getting old, they dont blow with as much force as they use to and they are kind of an eye sore in the tank, thinking about eliminating them, looking for advice?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Depends on if you need them...killing dead spots because of decor? Driving a UGF/RUGF? Creating flow for a certain species of fish?

sg1

AC Members
Dec 23, 2007
Well Ive got an air curtain already, and a huge bubble disk in the middle, and my cannister filter creates minimal water movement.

mcox3

Veritas Aequitas
Dec 26, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
yeah, thats what i forgot to mention... I use them with sponges only and only in 1 tank.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Well Ive got an air curtain already, and a huge bubble disk in the middle, and my cannister filter creates minimal water movement.
Sounds as if you need them if your canister is providing minimal movement.

RoseFishWatcher

AC Members
Oct 31, 2006
Colorado
I think it's mostly a matter of preference. If you have a species that prefers high flow (like those from a fast moving river) I think it's beneficial. If you have sand, it's definitely beneficial since they blow all the junk to one spot and give it a much cleaner look. Out of my 6 FW tanks, only 1 has a powerhead, and that is because it has a sand bottom and filter feeding shrimp who really need high flow to feed properly.

khombre

Jul 18, 2005
Quezon City, Philippines
It's just a matter of what you need and what you prefer. Me, I have a powerhead in every tank since I use it to shoot water up into a box filter. As for powerhgeads being current makers I only use them as such with fish that loves currents. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store