Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Doc Wellfish master test kit

Discussion in 'Freshwater Newbie Forum' started by darkstar974, Feb 8, 2006.

1. darkstar974

darkstar974 erin go bragh

Jan 6, 2009
    I have a Doc Wellfish master test kit and when i check the amonia it is always off the chart. but when i check it at the lfs it's either nill or .25 . My question is could the test kit be bad also when reading the directions for the test kit they mention salt added to the aquarium could this affect my readings?

Dark

2. Roan Art

Roan Art AC Members

Nov 10, 2008
    Dr. Wellfish wants you to buy his products and so endorses his brand of salts as a cure all for everything. Do not put salt in your aquarium unless you are keeping brackish water fish, and in that specific case, you need marine salt, not aquarium salt. Over time the salt will affect your fish negatively and shorten their life span.

No, salt will not affect your readings unless you are testing for GH.

What type of kit is the LFS using? Are they strips or test tubes?

Roan

3. mishi8

mishi8 Go fly a kite!

Nov 23, 2015
    It's possible the your test is inaccurate. How old is it?

Also, are you treating your tank water with a product like Prime, or any other product that binds or neutralizes the ammonia? In that case, it's possible that your test kit is reading the "neutralized" ammonia as well, and the LFS' test is not. This FAQ about Prime and testing for ammonia talks about this issue.

4. darkstar974

darkstar974 erin go bragh

Jan 6, 2009
    Well I did not add salt and I do use prime after reading really good things about it on this forum I did not know about cycling. I have water tested with both the strips and liquid at two different lfs the strips registerd .25 while the liquid registerd 0 no nitrates and nitrites

Dark

5. Roan Art

Roan Art AC Members

Nov 10, 2008
    Believe the test tubes over the strips. Strips are notoriously inaccurate.

Roan

6. mishi8

mishi8 Go fly a kite!

Nov 23, 2015
    Yes, the liquid tests are better than the strips, but even the tubes can be inaccurate depending on the chemical products used in the tank.

7. Roan Art

Roan Art AC Members

Nov 10, 2008
    Actually, when it comes to the ammonia reading and test kits, I sincerely doubt that the LFS is using anything but salicyate or Nessler kits, which will give total ammonia (NH3) and not free ammonia (NH4+) readings. Kits, like SeaChem's Ammonia kit that read both NH3/NH4+, are not cheap and not nearly as easy to use.

Roan

8. mishi8

mishi8 Go fly a kite!

Nov 23, 2015
    I don't doubt that. :)