Does anyone here keep natives??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I have always been interested in natives and along the way, years, have had a few native tanks. At this time I have Least Killies and that is about as close as it gets. I just wanted to know if others were interested.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Ive always wanted to keep a native tank from the fish in my area. But i would need a rather large tank. I want to keep large mouth bass, crappie, sunfish, and chain pickerel. Oh and some shiners as dithers :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
i am currently keeping 2 native species that I raised from fry. I have an amaama (mullet) and an oopu naniha (endemic goby). The goby is starting to get its color, i have almost had him a year.

Sent from my VS920 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I was thinking of doing a natives tank next spring featuring northren stud fish, a few dace, darters and scalpins. I may add a few tadpoles, minnows and pigmy madtoms.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
I have two creek chub in a tank. I'd gladly exchange them for least killies though. The creek chubs tear up plants and up till now have always had plants arranged nicely.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
I keep sculpin...I have had a prickly sculpin for for almost 4 years now...I really need to update her thread soon. Got her at under 1/2 inch she is now over 7 inches and is sooo lazy she only eats pellets.

leshrimp

AC Members
Jul 6, 2013
I really want to do a sw native rank because i live right near a calm beach an you can easily catch all types of critters with a net like crabs, shrimp, sometimes baby flounders or sea stars and many other cool creatures. Has anyone else done that before?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Like you, I've always wanted to do a natives tank but least killies were the closest I got. I tried an outside pond with bluegills and mosquitofish, but the bluegills ate the mosquitofish (which was fine, kind of expected that) and they were no fun at all to watch, very stealthy, never did take to commercial feed.

henningc

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I have had a native tank set up as a gravel raceway and pool. I kept darter, scalpins, various minnows, fundulas killies and at one point some dollar sunfish fry less than an inch long. The sun fish grew rapidly, so back to nature they went. They were hell on aquascaping as well. The rest were very interesting to watch. My biggest problem, for most it would be a died and went to heaven positive, is I have a fishroom heated to 78 degrees. That is a tad warm for the stream fish and most natives from the midwest. I think maybe I'll give it a try at work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store