Does Ball valve damage return pump?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Been trying to change up my plumbing somewhat. I want to add a ball valve right after my return so that I don't have to cut power to the pump for water changes and such. I wasn't sure though, would a closed ball valve right after the pump be too much "back pressure"(not sure if this is the right word) on the pump? The pump I'm using is an Eheim 1262 if it matters.

While we're at it, I may as well ask is it bad to cut power every week or so to these submersible pumps? I was previously using a Mag 9.5 and found that as time went on, it seemed like it had trouble starting back up after cutting the power.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Yes, don't close it all the way. You'll probably blow a fitting before the pump has damage but not a good idea IMHO.

Stopping and starting a motor does cause wear and tear. Some motors have a soft start but tend to be pricey. I don't expect more than 2 to 3 years out of my return pumps.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Can you tee it off with a second hose and ball valve that just returns to the sump?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Can you tee it off with a second hose and ball valve that just returns to the sump?
Could definitely work if you have room for the plumbing in the return section.

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Wow 2 or 3 years? My mag lasted me about 6, but probably with reduced capability in the later half of its life. About a month ago it died completely so I thought it would be a good opportunity to upgrade my sump and fix my leaky return bulkhead. The tee method is something I considered doing but of course, not before i placed the order on BRS for my plumbing parts lol. I'll probably get around to implementing that but I know my ATO float switch is gonna be in the compartment of the sump so we'll see. Thanks for the advice guys.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store