does ick medicine cause eye damage?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

qwazy101

AC Members
Oct 8, 2005
Ive been treating my tank for ick for 4 days now with nox ich, its really stressing out the fish and ive noticed on a few of them escpecially my oscar that his eyes are being irratated, one of them has an actual whole in the protective lense part. Other fish have cloudy white eyes.

any advice?

Jason

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
I don't think so, however fish come down with ich because thier immune system is under some sort of stress. Whatever is causing the cloudy eyes could be why your fish have sucombed to ich. I'm no expert on diseases, so I will leave that up to someone else.

What are your tank specs? Can you get us numbers on nitrates, ammonia, and nitrites. Maintainance schedule and practices? Diet of the fish? Lastly a pic of one of the infected fish could really help. I think whatever is causing the cloudy eyes is what you need to treat for. The ich is just a sideeffect. (do a search on heat and salt treatment for ich. It is much gentler on the fish IMO)

absalim

Registered Member
Nov 15, 2005
Had a similar problem with ich and an Oscar's eye.

I was treating my tank with Malachite green mixture, which cleared up the ich in about 6 days, but left one of the tiger oscars with a puffy/cloudy eye.
A subsequent anti fungal bath fixed his eye in two days.

No problems since.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store