Does Petsmart take in unwanted fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

louxrs

AC Members
Jul 15, 2011
I'm trying to plant a tank currently occupied by Mollies (and babies) with HC. But everytime I wake up in the morning, I end up replanting them.. I can't put them in my other tanks since either cause they will eat/be eaten by the other occupants.
And I don't think they'll survive in a temporary tupperware til the plants take root.

Does anyone have any experience donating/selling/adopting fishes at Petsmart? I've heard Petco has an adoption thing where you could leave them in the store for others to get free, but the nearest petco is twice as far.

I don't want to put them down... thats not an option for me.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
When I last asked my local petsmart they said no, you're probobly best of calling your local store.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Post them in the Marketplace here. It's not an ideal time of year for shipping but depending on where you are something might be workable. Or craigslist in your area.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Mollies will always nibble at plants, rooted or not I don't think you're going to be able to have a carpet growing in your tank with mollies as the inhabitants. I would put them on Freecycle or Craigslist. Giving a bag of fish to Petsmart, Petco or any of those other chain stores that don't accept trade ins is a bad idea. It's possible an employee or customer will take the fish, but if at the end of the day no one takes them or wants them they will probably be flushed. I know at my Petco only 2 people run the fish department right now, and 1 person does reptiles/fish, and none of them are into aquariums at all, to my surprise.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
The petsmart by me will take fish, but they wont pay you for them. Then they "adopt them out" for a rediculous fee. There is one fish store in my area though that will pay you for fish provided they are healthy. Try finding a specialty fish store. Even in the boonies they exist and they would probably be willing to take the fish.

louxrs

AC Members
Jul 15, 2011
I'm not aware of any local fish store around my area- but there's a Pet Supplies Plus close by which I think is a chain store as well, but definitely not as big as Petsmart. I might try going there first.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Most chains work on the policy of "if there isn't a paperwork trail behind it we can't sell it". For accounting purposes every sale must be tracked and accounted for.

Some stores get around this by doing "adoptions". Basically if you have a whole setup they can give away they will often toss the setup on a table or shelf near the entrance and put up a sheet explaining the situation. This isn't likely to happen with fish because the tanks aren't the easiest to move (big enough to safely move full = too heavy to move full). It is extremely common with rodents.

Local fish stores are the only ones that'll do donations or credit since they don't need to be nearly as strict with the accounting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store