Does This Exist?: Interactive Biotope Planner

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
I was thinking the other day about biotope setups (more out of curiosity than intent to set one up), and what a pain it seems like it could be to research how to set up an uncommon biotope. I was wondering if there was such a thing as an interactive biotope planner. To clarify, the what I am imagining would allow me to select a fish I wanted, then list only fish that live in overlapping areas. If I selected a second fish, it would then only show fish that lived in areas intersecting those of both other fish, and so on. I know there are lists of biotopes, and maps for individual fish, but does anyone know if what I am thinking of exists? I looked it up, but I didn't find anything with the searches I tried. I don't know if that's because it doesn't exist or because I didn't use good search terms, so I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks,
Brian

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
It would be pretty cool, but I've never seen anything like it. Mostly just lists of fish from different regions

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
Try it. Use a spreading calculator and put it on google drive.
What do you mean a spreading calculator? I am kind of considering looking in to trying to make it, if it doesn't exist.

Thanks,
Brian

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
Oh, sorry. I don't know how I missed that. But yeah, that would work.

I was thinking of doing it a different way, the logic you would use for doing it that way didn't occur to me. I was thinking you would enter specific territorial boundaries for each species, then have the computer find the overlap between those, but it is probably easier on the computer to just manually enter the yes/no overlap for any 2 species. Once again, I over-complicated things.

I'll probably give that a try, but I think I'll use java instead of a spreadsheet, since I know how to use it decently. It seems like that would be more suited to the purpose than a spreadsheet.

Brian

Reactions: Tifftastic
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store