Doing a gravel to sand change.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

iboG

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Medicine hat, AB
Real Name
Kyle
I took all the fish out and placed them in a large Tupperware container and I placed the filter and heater in there as well.

Empty out as much of the water as you can with a siphon or whatever. Once you only have substrate left, the easiest thing to do is suck it out with a shopvac. Make sure you keep a good few cups worth of the old substrate aerated and wet so the bacteria doesn't die. I took that old substrate and put it in a sock then an leaving it in the tank to help transfer the old bacteria over to the new substrate. Worked perfectly cuz I didn't have a cycle! Yay!

Next is add your freshly washed sand. It's quite easy and make sure it's clean. Drop in your sock of old substrate and fish, filter, and heater. Bingo!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
Perfecto

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I don't even take the fish out. I just do one side at a time leaving decorations, etc. on one side. Easy as cake and I've never seen so much as a stressed fish afterwards.

:cheers:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store