Driftwood discoloration

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WebSwim

Registered Member
Feb 24, 2004
webswim.com
I bought two pieces of driftwood from my LFS yesterday and have been boiling them ever since. Seriously, I've boiled them 10+ times already, sometimes for as long as two hours.

So, my questions is: if I put them in the tank they'll colour the water. How long will the driftwood leach colour? WIll it do it until all the colour is gone?

Mantis737

AC Members
Jan 9, 2004
Visit site
There is a product you can buy at your local LFS that will soak up the driftwood discoloration. I had two pieces I put in my tank without preboiling them and within 2-3 days my water was clear. I cant remember the name of the product, but it is like a mesh bag full of tan pellets that you put into your filter. Ask your LFS, they should know.

net_shark512

Useless Chit Chat Posts 999,999
Dec 15, 2002
Whitehall,Pa
Visit site
It takes awhile how long I don't know. I had one leech color for about 2 weeks after boiling. It won't hurt anything and when it is done a partial water change and some carbon in the filter clears it right up. I already seen people who like the tea colored water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store