Driftwood for aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

itsethan

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
I have made a mistake of adding any random driftwood from the woods and which eventually made the mess of my aquarium. Should have boiled it...

Now, I want to simply buy one from the market this time. Please advise on the basis of safety too..

Got some list for reference

Sunlight

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
Generally, you want to boil your wood before putting it in the tank to sanitize it and to help it sink faster. All wood will release tannins that turn the water brown, but the tannic acids are very healthy for aquarium life. You can put carbon in your filter to get rid of the brown water if you don't like it, though.

Reactions: Amazoniantanklvr

Sunlight

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
I myself use wood that I find in the woods but make sure to boil it to sanitize it and strip the bark off before putting in the tank :)

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
I myself use wood that I find in the woods but make sure to boil it to sanitize it and strip the bark off before putting in the tank :)
I would if we had woods here! lol

WilliamBowman

AC Members
Feb 15, 2020
4322 Forest Drive Beltsville, VA 20705
www.amoskeagfishways.org
Real Name
WilliamBowman
GEOsystem Fluval Mopani Driftwood was my first ever piece of wood for my aquarium. I was very impressed with it because it looks great, my bristlenose catfish loves it, my java ferns are attaching to it well and it didn't take long to get rid of the tannins. I boiled it for 3 hours then left it in a bucket of water for 24hours. I placed it in at night, changed the water in the morning and placed it into the aquarium that night. No tannins leached from the wood whatsoever.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store