Driftwood Problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh, cyanobacteria is also called blue green alga, I didn't know it as "slime" alga. Good call, Sheila!

I would say it has nothing to do with your wood. It's often because of fluctuating co2, nitrate levels & stagnant water. A 3 or 4 day total black out (no light what so ever) MAY help. It's a bacteria, not a real alga, so you CAN kill it with antibiotics. But it will come back if you don't address the other problems.

What filtration do you have? You want a brisk flow. A 29g with lots of plants may need a second filter (I do it on all tanks 20g+). What's your water change schedule? How much & how often?

My best guess is your flow is diminished now, cyano likes that. Vacuum like crazy to remove as much as you can often & switch back to the better flow spray bar. I'd also reduce the light to 6 hours & see what happens. You may need to resort to antibiotics to knock it out, but you still will need to fix what's wrong or it will just come back.

Does your tank get any window light at all? I have 1 tank, that at certain times of year gets cyano but it goes away pretty easily when the sun shifts. We're in spring with longer days...

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
Chemiclean has worked for me, but as fishorama points out, I still haven't figured out the cause. Shall try to increase filter flow by removing some media, or possibly even replacing the tubing. Also plan to replace the year-old cf bulb. Possibly my old AHSupply bulbs lasted longer than my current Coralife. Thanks.

Reactions: Jennifer G.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store