Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Driftwood...safe?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Equipment, Products, & DIY' started by Matt101905, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Matt101905

Matt101905 Love Guru

May 11, 2009
    Hello everyone I was just wondering if anyone knew what kinds of wood was ok to put into a aquarium. I went ridin on the 4 wheeler today on the farm and found a bunch of cedar that was good and dead. I found this one cool peice and I believe it is cedar but I found it down on the creek and all that wood came from way upstream from when the creek flooded twice. It would go good in my 55gal. and maybe even fit in my 20gal. Is there any DIY articles or links about safe driftwood and how to sanatize it? Thanks Oh BTW here we have alot of Cedar and Oak...and walnut trees.

2. ChrisK

ChrisK AC Members

Jan 2, 2013
    Pics?

3. Matt101905

Matt101905 Love Guru

May 11, 2009
    later? I should have brought it home..but my girlfriend was ridin with me and I didn't want her to hold it the whole way home...I'd rather her hold me haha.

4. ChrisK

ChrisK AC Members

Jan 2, 2013
    Right on :lol: :perv: alot of wood is not aquarium safe best to identify with a pic

5. Matt101905

Matt101905 Love Guru

May 11, 2009
    Alright I'll get a pic sometime in the next couple of days. Tomorrows supposted to be cold....going 40-50mph on a 4 wheeler hurts your face when its snowing outside haha. :help:

6. edh

edh AC Members

Feb 14, 2010
    Cedar is a soft wood hard woods are better.

And I am almost certain that I have heard not to use cedar or evergreens.

7. irishspy

irishspy There is a stargate in my aquarium.

Sep 16, 2016
  8. Matt101905

Matt101905 Love Guru

May 11, 2009
    Alright thanks! I'll check into that and get a pic of that one peice of wood. I believe its cedar but its so old its hard to tell...my dad would know so I'll just ask him too. Thanks!

9. OldMan47

OldMan47 I love my endlers

Nov 30, 2012
    You can stick a piece of cedar into the moist ground and come back years later to find it still intact. Anything that naturally resists rotting in the ground won't be going into one of my tanks. I am not sure what the oils and such are made of but I don't want them in my water.
    The only woods that I would trust are some of the denser hardwoods. One of those to avoid is walnut. Walnut is able to significantly reduce plant competition by releasing materials into the soil. Again, I don't want that in my tank water.

10. Matt101905

Matt101905 Love Guru

May 11, 2009
    Ok thanks. I know Cedar posts last a LONG TIME. My grandpa burns out most of the stumps in the woods so there is no cool wood lying around in the woods.