Driftwood

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ArkyLady

Addict In Training
Nov 27, 2002
Arkansas
I'd like to find a couple pieces of driftwood to add to my aquarium. Is there anything I should look out for when buying this? Been looking on Ebay and some of the pieces are shiney glazed and some are "treated" ... they say they are fish safe, but I'd think just natural driftwood would be best/safest right? Maybe I should forget Ebay for this and get them from someplace reputable that I'll know I'm getting something safe for my fish.

Also, should I do anything to the driftwood when I get it? Boil it or anything maybe?

Cuddlebug910

Cuddlier than any other bug
Mar 2, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
I haven't yet purchased any driftwood, but I've got a couple links you may want to check out. As far as I know, most people boil their driftwood before adding it to their tanks. Not sure if this applies to the "pretreated" driftwoods... But I think they do it not only to sanitize, but to remove some of the tannins from the wood. Check out www.aquabid.com, the fishworld's version of eBay. Also, www.floridadriftwood.com and swampwiz.homestead.com are two site where you can choose the piece of driftwood you want to order.

O-man21

30 FW, 6 SW, 2.5 SW
Dec 3, 2002
Des Moines, IA
They have them at any fish store, but not a petco or wal-mart, you need to soak it in a bucket of water for about 3 days so it will sink(unless it's weighted)

T

TnCgal

Arkylady,

The link that Cuddlebug gave you ( www.floridadriftwood.com )is very good and they have a great reputation for delivering beautiful peices of driftwood.

If the peice is small enough, you can boil it several times if you like, some people soak it in their bath tubs, or rubbermaid containers for several days. This will be up to you based on the size and shape of the peice you buy.

Remember, that when you first place a peice of driftwood in your tank, your water will most likely turn a golden color to a tea-color. The reason for this is because it will be leeching "tannins" into the water causing it to get softer and a shade of tan in color, so don't be surprised when this happens as so many people that are new to driftwood are - this is perfectly normal and will go away after several water changes.

Some people LOVE the new color of the water because it gives the appearance of being closer to the fishes' natural environment, but other people find it cosmetically unappealing, which I personally did at first and even took my driftwood out because I couldn't stand it - but that a couple of years ago now and I have since replaced the driftwood, my water is crystal clear, and my water is nice and soft for my fish. Good luck ! :)

ArkyLady

Addict In Training
Nov 27, 2002
Arkansas
Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.

I had read somewhere that some fish will munch on the driftwood, is this true? That is why I was concerned about adding driftwood that had been chemically treated somehow.

T

TnCgal

I'm not going to say that there are not fish that do this, but that is not the norm. They will, however, snack on the inevitable algae that can accumulate in the cracks and crevices of the wood.

ArkyLady

Addict In Training
Nov 27, 2002
Arkansas
ahh TnCgal, I bet that's what they meant then. I believe when I read that I was reading up about pl*cos. I've read so much the past few months it kinda all blends together :)

T

TnCgal

Plecos love driftwood, so I have a feeling that is what you read !

Good luck ! :)

O-man21

30 FW, 6 SW, 2.5 SW
Dec 3, 2002
Des Moines, IA
I have pl*co's that have carved themselves creves in the drift wood. I say that yes there are fisht that eat the wood, and I have heard that it can be good for them

Finzzup

AC Members
Dec 1, 2002
NW Iowa
Visit site
ArkyLady's question about driftwood reminded me that I still have all the 'stuff' from my 55 gallon from years ago, so off in search of it all I went. Found some GREAT rocks and some slate that we had on the bottom and one nice piece of driftwood that is somehow attached to a slate bottom should fit right into the Eclipse 6G tank. Hubby had bought it in a fish store at the mall... There is also a HUGE piece that I hope we will one day use again... ;)

Driftwood is still just driftwood, right? Even though it's been boxed up for 10-12 years? If I soak it or boil it, I should be able to use it again...?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store