dry leaves on lawn as deco?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nomad92

AC Members
Jul 24, 2007
i thinking of sometihng different.. there are tons of dried leaves on my lawn.. and was tihnking.. why not use them as the scape? mayb as foreground, or leave on the ground thruout the entire tank with a piece or two of driftwood..

has this been done b4? i need some opinions about the microorganisms on the leaves.. it might be harmful to my fishes rite? what if i dry them out really well? or this is just too risky? :help:

kr0nic

AC Members
Jul 2, 2007
Newcastle, Australia, NSW
Id imagine they would decompose very quickly and cloud your water.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
it would be very messy and as mentioned above, they would decompose faster than you could get them.

nomad92

AC Members
Jul 24, 2007
decompose? dried leaves wud decompose in water? mmm my girlfriend use to dry up flowers and then keep them in a box or seomthing... it doesnt decompoes tho.. mmm

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
but she is not adding water to them...
:confused:

decompose? dried leaves wud decompose in water? mmm my girlfriend use to dry up flowers and then keep them in a box or seomthing... it doesnt decompoes tho.. mmm
yes.. dried leaves and flowers WILL decompose in water.. when they are in water, theyre not exactly dried anymore, right? :) which gives them the capacity to decompose. :)

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
yeah. . . from first-hand experience, not a good idea.

i tried to set up a leaf litter bristlenose pleco tank,and it just didn't work out. i collected about 15 nice, leathery-dry oak leaves from the yard, boiled them until they were water-logged enough to sink, and set up the tank. they leached so much tannic acid it was actually impossible to see the back of the 30g tank from the front. they slowly started to fall apart, and after a month or so were just mush and mess. honestly, the plecos`loved it, but i hated the mess, the inability to see into the tank, and the fear of major pH swings when doing water changes. the "color" from the leaves (and driftwood) is acidic, while the tap water is in the upper 7's.

nomad92

AC Members
Jul 24, 2007
wow.. glad i posted b4 i did anything with the leaves.. =) guess there is logic behind the leaves decomposing in water.. and plus the muddy thingies in lakes.. =) no leaves in tanks.. heh

thanks everyone for helping me out!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store