dwarf Africans - who knows?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Scooter

AC Members
Jun 5, 2001
Knoxvegas, TN
Visit site
I'm looking for a dwarf African that is colorful and will do best with a sand substrate, something other than Xenotilapia species. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited:

Scooter

AC Members
Jun 5, 2001
Knoxvegas, TN
Visit site
Thanks. Shellies and kribs are certainly options. Anyone else have some suggestions? Something out of the ordinary or a little hard to find (less popular) would be even better.

firetank

calibration boy
Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
i keep harping on about them, but i like anomalochromis thomasi; african butterfly cichlid.

i have three...(rescued a single spec this weekend who was in a tank full of blue acaras..... the sales guy was adamant it was an acara... i just smiled.....)

they are very peaceful, and closely have beautiful patterning...

definitely my favourites in the tank...

i have sand sub too...

grow to 3 3 1\2"

:D ;)

african_butterfly_cichlid_-_hemichromis_thomasi.jpg

Scooter

AC Members
Jun 5, 2001
Knoxvegas, TN
Visit site
Whoa! I don't think 33 1/2 inches is really a dwarf is it?

Just kidding. Good looking fish. Thanks a bunch for the pointer. That's about the size I'm looking for and if they resemble Blue Acaras, which is even better because I like those too. :)

Harry Tolen

Cichlid Fan
Aug 17, 2000
Union, WA, USA
Cichlid Woman and Firetank both propose an interesting idea: cichlids from West Africa as opposed to the Rift Lake complex. If your water is soft and acidic (or you have R/O and can make it so), these fish will be highly rewarding. My own current favorite in this category is Nanochromis transvestitus, although you have to be able to get the pH down to about 5.5 and hold it there in order for them to breed for you.

Verse914

Aulonocara Lover
May 9, 2002
Fort Wayne, IN
www.Verse914.com
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store