dwarf frogs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

doom_machine

AC Members
Dec 7, 2004
i got a couple of dwarf frogs which i always thought were the same as african frogs but the pet store guy seemed to differenciate, i have an aquarium book that says african frogs will eat flake foods but just now read a site that says that they wont eat dried foods but eat frozen bloodworms and live foods...perhaps i could get some more definite info on how i need to care for them...and they are safe with other fish right, i have cory's,guppies,danios

also whats their behaviro suppose tobe like, they dont move much but mostly crawl slowly around occasionaly

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site

Lynn

Registered Member
Jan 25, 2005
Great Advice

I also just got two African Dwarf Frogs about a week ago. I just want to say that I have learned more from this web site and Leopardess's article than I have from the pet stores. I too have been sitting there trying to figure out how to feed them because they would not eat the froggy pellets or flake food. I was worried because they were not eating. Tried the big tweezers last night and fed them some thawed out frozen bloodworms with success except I did not know how much to feed them and didn't want them to explode. They are still pretty little and not full size. Ike and Mike are still little guys. Or, I could have a Michelle as one has that little bump in the back where the other one doesn't. Right now I have them in a smallish tank where actually a betta could go. I am in the process of putting them into a 2.5 gallon tank with filter and I managed to find a small heater that will work. I figured I would feed them a little bit every 24 hrs. Oh, and yes they will be by them selves in the tank. If anything I may get one or two more. Would that be ok in the 2.5 gallon?

Last edited:

FisheyLisa

Fish-a-roni
Nov 2, 2004
CT
I am having trouble knowing how much to feed too. I read a ton of sites online (google search african dwarf frogs) and somewhere it said feed till their bellies are slightly round. My problem is that I have 4 (two boys two girls I think) and they live in a 15 gallon communiy tank. I sometimes can't tell who I have fed and who I haven't. Well I know they are all fed, but some get more if they get there before the fish. I think they get a couple of bloodworms each everyother day. I don't know if I shold go to every day. My betta has an overeating problem and I dont want another.

What I found works best is a turkey baster. I tried chop sticks in place of long tweezers, which I don't have. that was useless. You have to have the food RIGHT in front of them. Even when worms drom on them, they don't get them. In fact, they need to come right up to the baster and suck the worm out. they try to fit their head in, but it is too big. Mine came right to the baster the firt time I held it close to their heads. NO training!

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Thanks Lynn. I'm glad my article helped:) Its why I wrote it afterall:D

As for how much to feed, yes, I've said until they're bellies are rounded looking. If this proves difficult to determine I will offer a few thoughts. I've found that when a frog is no longer hungry, they will lose interest in eating. Most often, they will retreat back into the plants. I've never had a frog eat a dangerous amount of food and I think they're good at regulating themselves. You can try feeding them as much as they will comfortably eat (meaning, let them dictate when they start to lose interest, but dont' push them to eat more) and feed them that way every other day.

My adult frogs will eat about (I'm estimating here)...10 full size, plump frozen bloodworms at each feeding. Smaller frogs require less.

One note is that if you just purchased a frog, particularly if it is still very small, only feed it a few worms for its first few meals. Giving a starved frog a huge meal immediately can cause some stomach problems (similar to the way you have to work up to a full meal with starved cats/dogs).

I'm glad the baster method works well for you Lisa. I still stick by the tweezers though:D Of course, they're only good if you get the long ones...using tiny tweezers is no fun at all! The frogs will get very adept at whatever method you choose in due time, anyway.

2 frogs in a 2.5g is the maximum I would suggest. If you upgrade to a five gallon tank, though, 4-5 frogs would be okay provided there were no other fish (a 5g with smooth rocks, sand, and frogs, is a wonderful thing).

TJT

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
I have 2 frogs sharing a 5gallon with 1 betta and 2 white clouds, anyway they enjoy eating blood worms from my tweezers but since that is a bit time consuming I have been dropping some shrimp pellets and they seem to nip at those, however not quite as much as they will if I give them blood worms. Should shrimp pellets be an acceptable substitute, and if so should I crush it beforehand or let them nip it off after it softens up enough?

FisheyLisa

Fish-a-roni
Nov 2, 2004
CT
If you soak freeze dried foods, are they not bad for the frogs? I have some freeze dried tubifex worms, I soaked them for 5-10 min, then put them in my community tank expecting the fish to eat them, not the frogs, but the ADF"S went crazy. Since they are lighter, the tubifex stayed afloat longer and the frogs had a chance. I also remember that they could overfill on freeze dried stuff.

Finally are frozen brine shimp ok ?

swimsinkfloat

Registered Member
Dec 7, 2002
south east
Visit site
I have had frogs for many years. Mine have always survived well by introducing food to them with a straw. It works well and they recognize it. As far as food, mine get protein from small pieces of egg, chicken, beef, and they also eat sinking pellets too. I feel that they will eat just about anything you put in front of their face, and if they dont like it, they will spit it out.

msp75

AC Members
Jan 18, 2005
I have 2 ADFs in a tank with a few rasboras and I just drop the thawed food in there. The fish eat some, but most sinks to the bottom and the frogs eat until their bellies are round. I have one that is HUGE and will eat anything and one that was starting to look scrawny until I started feeding frozen food instead of pellets.

Is the tweezer/baster/straw feeding just to make sure the frogs get some of the food (so fish don't get it first) or is that recommended even for tanks where food is not a problem? Should I be doing that to control the amount they eat?

FisheyLisa

Fish-a-roni
Nov 2, 2004
CT
i would think that if they are getting enough food by your non-tweezer method, keep doing it. Measure the food before you put it in if you think there is too much.
ciao!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store