Dwarf Gourami

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jokerfla

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
Can anyone tell me about their experiences with dwarf gouramis? I am considering getting one.

jokerfla

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
It appears we have a comedian in the bunch. :joke:

kjr928

Go fish yourself.
I like them. They have attitude. They're pretty good for community tanks, but they will go after other fish (at least mine do). My gourami harrassed the crap out of my platies until I got another one - now they just harrass each other. Supposedly not good with bettas (because they have those long fins and they're slow), but I've read many conflicting reports about that. I'm going to try it and see how it goes.

Xavi

Sillyboy
Mar 11, 2007
Worcester, MA
Males can be abit aggressive between themselves until dominence is established within the tank. Don't mix with other gouramis or similar fish(betta & paradise fish.)

jokerfla

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
I would only get one. How shy are they? I have heard floating plants are good for these fish, does that really matter?

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
I have 2 male dwrf Gs and they do just fine in my comm. tank. They're in a tank with mollys, SAEs, cory, platy, sword, neons, shrimp and otos.

They were kinda shy the first month or 2 but are now right up in the middle of the feeding frenzy. They're brave enough to compete with the mollys for the shrimp pellets but usually just grab the loose pieces that float away.

They harass no other fish. They liked the floating plastic plant I had in there for the molly fry (there was a hollow they would hang out in) i have a hollow stump in there and a castle they like to hang out in too so places to hide are a good for them.

I love the way DG move through the water. It's cool to watch them feel things as they explore. I'm gonna get some more soon.

Q

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
Mine is usually up front, begging for food. When there's no hope of being rewarded w/ food, he chases my Angel or larger tetras around. He's not the most pleasant fish in the tank, but he hasn't hurt anyone...

I'd only have one.

melissa3

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Western MA
I have two males (accident, thought one was a girl) and the dominant one chases the other to no end. It drives ME nuts! I'd suggest getting one male or 1 male/ 2 females. Besides that, they don't bother my other fish - 2 pygmy gouramis, group of neons and guppies.

They LOVE plants and like to hide under my floating mop of java moss. I've found they do a good job pruning my plants too. They only eat the dead leaves and leave the good ones alone =)

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
i had a powder blue dwarf gourami as my first fish in my little 5 gallon. after i moved him over to my 20 gallon (b-day...wow that tank is going to be ayear old already time does fly ;)) and added a blue gourami (mistake, hey i was new), the blue gourami snapped after about a month and killed him, along with two platies and attempted to kill my black skirts... dwarf gouramis are awesome fish with lots of personality. i highly recommend them if you can find quality fish. latley though, it has really been hit or miss with quality. one week in the stores they will be great looking and extremely healthy, and another week they will all be sickly or dead within a day of the shippment. i have had better luck with localized and small chain stores with the quality rather than the nationial places.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store