Dwarf Guorami’s tail floating

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Alaskachild

AC Members
Jan 14, 2021
My dwarf guorami keeps floating/swimming with his tail up and his head down. My other fish are doing fine, it’s only him. I just got him a few days ago and added him to my tank. It’s 38 gallons, cycled, planted, 2 nerites, 1 dwarf flame guorami, dwarf blue (the sick one), 3 guppies and 1 molly. The flame guorami nipped at him and chased him a few times the first day but after that left him alone.
He was fine for 2 days but now he tries to swim but he keeps spiraling in circles, if he’s lying on his side on the bottom, his tail keeps floating up. He will have periods of normal swimming and then suddenly swimming erratically and his tail floating up again.
I moved him to a smaller, makeshift hospital tank so he wouldn’t have so much water to swim through.

Main tank parameters:
Temp - 80.5 F
Nitrite - 0
Nitrates - between 1 and 5 (my test kit measures 0-5 and it’s a bit darker than the 0 but not as dark as the 5 - API freshwater master test kit)
Ammonia - 0

FEC47015-F78A-4553-9D71-3FB5A26FF5A9.jpeg

AE7A5F1A-EAAD-446A-ABE7-57E33EBB710D.jpeg

067B22BD-7FF9-4F0A-9645-356AC2898D67.jpeg

Alaskachild

AC Members
Jan 14, 2021
Look like swim bladder to me. Try feed him frozen peas for couple day. How much and what are u feed them?
I did the peas last night and a lot of poop came out today, though I’m not sure how much a dwarf guorami poops to begin with.....
I give a mix of stuff. I rotate between frozen bloodworm/brine shrimp, hikari tropical fish pellets and tropical fish flakes
I feed a small pinch for all my fish. About 3-5 tiny pellets per fish total once-twice a day.

Alaskachild

AC Members
Jan 14, 2021
Fish should be feed one time per day, keep feeding him peas. Yes, dwarf gouramis tend toward long poops..any improvement after that peas?
I haven’t seen his tail end floating upwards like it had been. I gave him another pea this morning and I’ll try putting him back in the main tank tonight and see how he does.

Alaskachild

AC Members
Jan 14, 2021
Update us tomorrow ?
So he was doing fine in the tiny, makeshift hospital tank so I put him back into the main tank and he immediately started up again.... I’m about to do a water change and see if it’s just something about the water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store