Dwarf Guorami’s tail floating

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Alaskachild

AC Members
Jan 14, 2021
Thsi make no sense... he was fine in H tank & started to play up in ur main? Would you mind post results for nitrite ammonia and nitrate?
Ammonia is 0
Nitrites are between 1-5
Nitrates are 0

I even tried putting him into my smaller 5.5 gallon betta tank just to see if it was something in the larger tank, like maybe someone was picking on him, and he wasn’t doing it in there until this morning when I turned the lights on.... That tank is ammonia 0, nitrates 0 and nitrites between 5-10

Would there be something maybe light related going on? Maybe he doesn’t like the lights or something??

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Zero ppm nitrates isn't typical in an established tank. How long has the tank been setup? How often do you do water changes and how much water do you change?

Hard to say what the issue is. I know I've had horrible luck with any dwarf gourami. I stopped trying to keep them because of it. All gourami are food hogs so you have to be sure to feed them foods with very good ingredient lists. Make sure the first 3 ingredients are whole protein and plant matter. Not grains and fillers.

Alaskachild

AC Members
Jan 14, 2021
Zero ppm nitrates isn't typical in an established tank. How long has the tank been setup? How often do you do water changes and how much water do you change?

Hard to say what the issue is. I know I've had horrible luck with any dwarf gourami. I stopped trying to keep them because of it. All gourami are food hogs so you have to be sure to feed them foods with very good ingredient lists. Make sure the first 3 ingredients are whole protein and plant matter. Not grains and fillers.
My larger tank has been set up for about 1.5 months now, added fish starting about 3 weeks ago after the tank was cycled. My smaller tank also showed 0 nitrates for the longest time after it was cycled. It just started showing nitrates consistently this past month and it’s been set up for a year!
Both tanks have live plants. Could this be part of the lower nitrates?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
My larger tank has been set up for about 1.5 months now, added fish starting about 3 weeks ago after the tank was cycled. My smaller tank also showed 0 nitrates for the longest time after it was cycled. It just started showing nitrates consistently this past month and it’s been set up for a year!
Both tanks have live plants. Could this be part of the lower nitrates?
Very doubtful the zero nitrates is due to the plants. There's no way of knowing your tank is properly cycled if it's not producing nitrates.
I'd question the test kit or the procedure being used for the nitrate test. Not knocking you at all, it's just very common for people to not perform the nitrate test properly, assuming you're using the API master test kit.

Alaskachild

AC Members
Jan 14, 2021
Very doubtful the zero nitrates is due to the plants. There's no way of knowing your tank is properly cycled if it's not producing nitrates.
I'd question the test kit or the procedure being used for the nitrate test. Not knocking you at all, it's just very common for people to not perform the nitrate test properly, assuming you're using the API master test kit.
I have found it very odd for the 0 nitrates as well. I’m using the API master kit and follow the directions to a T. I’ve also used test strips and they say the same. Before I added fish both tests were saying 5 nitrates.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store