Dwarf hairgrass help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

junyor

AC Members
Nov 3, 2019
Hi There Guys:
I know this topic has been talked here before but I need your opinion in my specific case to see what I'm doing wrong.

I started a nano cube 10g planted tank, I have a Bonsai driftwood with Christmas Moss, I have Anubias petite and for carpet I added dwarf hairgrass, the DH si starting to turn brown, I have ecocomplete substrate and CaribSea SuperNatural in top of it, I'm using DIY Co2 in a Stainless Steel pressurized tank, I'm also using fluval Led 3.0 nano lamp in the Planted Preset. I started to put root tabs to see how it goes.

Am I missing something? Any advise will be appreciated.

Thanks

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
how long ago did you plant the hairgress? and are you sure that it was grown submerged before you got it? it's possible that it had been grown emersed, and the brown is the emerged growth dying off. check for new growth.

pictures might help too

as will the type of root tabs you added, if the light is full strength or dimmed, if there are other plants than the 3 mentioned.

calculating CO2 levels from pH and hardness will help too.

but, hairgrass is a root feeder, and needs nutrition at the roots. your substrate is inert, and will only contain what is added, so if it was new, and you hadn't added anything to feed the plants, that may be a cause of problems.

junyor

AC Members
Nov 3, 2019
how long ago did you plant the hairgress? and are you sure that it was grown submerged before you got it? it's possible that it had been grown emersed, and the brown is the emerged growth dying off. check for new growth.

pictures might help too

as will the type of root tabs you added, if the light is full strength or dimmed, if there are other plants than the 3 mentioned.

calculating CO2 levels from pH and hardness will help too.

but, hairgrass is a root feeder, and needs nutrition at the roots. your substrate is inert, and will only contain what is added, so if it was new, and you hadn't added anything to feed the plants, that may be a cause of problems.
Hi Dougal:
I planted the DH 2 Sundays ago, I got them from Amazon in a gel cup, I'm using easy root rabs as well easy green fertilizer, my Kh is 125ppm and the Gh is 214ppm, my Ph is 7.2

20201111_180306.jpg

20201111_180331.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
In my very limited experience with DHG, that looks pretty normal. Some looks to be recovering; some has died. All the "see through leaves" will not recover, remove them as you can...vacuuming may get some; pinching & removing also works...

Yours looks better than mine ever did ;) Good luck!

Reactions: junyor

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I think it works out maybe 13ppm Co2

As above, it doesn't look too bad.. the brown/clear is likely emerged leaves dieing off, there's no reason to leave them on there.. the energy in the plants is going to be better used to grow new leaves than try to work with the old.

Just keep an eye on it, and renember to replace the root tabs when needed... But you should be fine.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I should have said to put the root tabs very slightly away from the clump to help it spread. Mine did spread but it would have been better to have a 1/2 inch max space instead of my ~1.5 inches. My was new growth was pretty sparse...then it got hair algae & cyano...I'm sure any co2 will help.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
When it grows from tissue culture, it will start to convert and spread slowly..

Once it's more established you can uproot 8t and divide each clump up to make it spread faster.. orcas above move root tabs further away.. when it is time to add them next, just put them further away from the clumps.

And you totally have enough CO2 for hairgrass, as long as there isn't too much light.. just watch for algae starting to catch hold.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Help dougall, orcas?!? (killer whales?!?) I don't know that expression...or typo?...for something...I see I had typing issues as well...I hope we didn't confuse the OP too much, lol...

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Help dougall, orcas?!? (killer whales?!?) I don't know that expression...or typo?...for something...I see I had typing issues as well...I hope we didn't confuse the OP too much, lol...
Heaven's, my typing... fat fingers and a phone keyboard do not mix.

"Or as above"

sorry. ?

• Haha
Reactions: Sprinkle and dudley
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store