Dying Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
I have friends who gave their children fish tanks at Christmas and they all did badly, they were a little surprised to learn that it's not only about throwing water and turning on the filter, all their fish have died, and I am sure that possibly in a short time those tanks will be empty.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
I have friends who gave their children fish tanks at Christmas and they all did badly, they were a little surprised to learn that it's not only about throwing water and turning on the filter, all their fish have died, and I am sure that possibly in a short time those tanks will be empty.
Giving an aquarium for a gift unless the person expresses a big interest for one is a mistake. Even the people giving the gift probably don't even know the work and time involved, and the end result is that it starts off with people thinking it's just a matter of adding water, adding fish, and sitting back to enjoy. When they find out the truth, the tank ends up collecting dust in the shed or in a yard sale.

I practically begged for an aquarium for my 15th birthday, but I was already learning as much as I could before I asked. That' the exception, though, not the rule.

WYite

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Bruce might be back, he was here yesterday :). It may take him some time to read & even get to the point of more questions.

I have given (used) tanks to nieces twice. I explained to my sister what to do but she didn't :( . Years later I gave a tank, shrimp & used filter media to a different niece. She had no problems & kept them for several years until she was a teen :) I think it depends on whether the giftee wants to try a tank like WYite vs a random (or parent's) idea of a novelty present.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Somehow I think that's the last we'll hear of Bruce.
I hope he didn't take everything as criticism and that he does comes back.

WYite

Reactions: Sprinkle

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Giving an aquarium for a gift unless the person expresses a big interest for one is a mistake. Even the people giving the gift probably don't even know the work and time involved, and the end result is that it starts off with people thinking it's just a matter of adding water, adding fish, and sitting back to enjoy. When they find out the truth, the tank ends up collecting dust in the shed or in a yard sale.

I practically begged for an aquarium for my 15th birthday, but I was already learning as much as I could before I asked. That' the exception, though, not the rule.

WYite
Agreed, even if it’s a gift for an experienced keeper it’s a bad idea unless it’s something that was specifically asked for. I had family offering to get me fish stuff for Xmas I emphatically said please don’t.

Reactions: Sprinkle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store