Dying loaches, what to do

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wickette

AC Members
Sep 29, 2018
New York City suburbs
Real Name
Wicked
Updating my own post, since the loach incident I bring an high quality insulated bag (the kind to keep food hot/cold) to buy new fish. I live in a very high traffic area.

I bought 2 gold zebra loaches 8 days ago, 2 more two days later. All did fine. I bought 1 more 2 days after those on my way home from work, didnt have the insulated bag though. Got home 40 min later, and now this loach is displaying the similar behavior as my initial post. Pale, lethargic, occasionally flashing, sometimes almost seems dead, but still eating and not breathing fast or slow. Im certain the cold did something to him. I dont see ich spots. Maybe they have a parasite exasperated by the cold. He doesnt seem great but doesnt seem like hes going to die just yet, comes to, swims around for a bit, the eyes are always responsive.

Should I remove him and treat him with something? If so what?
My quarantine tank is occupied, Ive got a 3.2 gal fish bowl and plenty of extra filters my although all of my heaters are 200 watt, might be risk to have that much wattage in 3.2 gal.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
So if I've mathed correctly you've had this one for 4 days?

I don't think I would treat him with anything, I'm not a fan of treating when there's no identified illness. Moving him to that small of a tank would also likely just stress him more than he already is. I would give him a couple more days and see if he gets better, but in addition would do a water change. My first course of action is always a water change when something looks off and it seems to help with pretty much anything.

Reactions: fishorama

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
^ Tiff! Good to see you!

Agree on the holding off on meds/adds thing.

wickette

AC Members
Sep 29, 2018
New York City suburbs
Real Name
Wicked
So if I've mathed correctly you've had this one for 4 days?

I don't think I would treat him with anything, I'm not a fan of treating when there's no identified illness. Moving him to that small of a tank would also likely just stress him more than he already is. I would give him a couple more days and see if he gets better, but in addition would do a water change. My first course of action is always a water change when something looks off and it seems to help with pretty much anything.
Correct 4 days, all came from the same tank at the same petco, and they didnt get any new fish delivered because of the thanksgiving holiday. So if it has a parasite, chances are they all do.
I was reading up on this all day. Aside from the water change (ive been doing a small water change daily anyway to get them to acclimate to the gravel vac and not stress out every two weeks) maybe I should raise the temp to 85 and get a UV sterilizer?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
No, I would wait on any treatment as Tiff & Joel said. 85F is pretty hot & not a good temp for most loaches. It won't "fix" a chilled fish, I think just waiting is best, although I've never had that problem, even getting fish shipped to the east coast in late fall. What is the tank temp now?

I often treat for internal parasites in loaches in QT. But there is no hurry for that if you choose to do it. A UV can help a tiny bit but you don't need it now. Just wait & change water often for now. Drugs can be stressful to your "chilled 1" & other seemingly healthy loaches. Patience! I've never heard of parasites being made worse with short term low temps. Vacuum too.

Can you post pics? Sometimes there are subtle signs of parasites...but get them stable first before stressing them with drugs or high temp. 4 days is not enough to make good decisions on anything. Again, be patient!

wickette

AC Members
Sep 29, 2018
New York City suburbs
Real Name
Wicked
temp is 77 right now. Here's the best photo I can get, he stays hidden. But in the shot you can see his pale coloring vs a healthy gold zebra loachloach1.jpg swimming past

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
He does look pale, but not skinny. Is it the smallest histrionica? Botia type loaches do sometimes "play dead", resting on their sides or even upside down. Don't bug them to make sure they're ok.

Does it eat? Do other loaches bother it? I agree with Tiff, water changes are enough for now.

How did you acclimate them? Did you test the store water? I think we've talked about that...If the store's water is much different than your tank, I prefer a slow acclimation, others "plop & drop". Loaches also prefer a fully mature tank, not just cycled but with a nice biofilm on surfaces.

Anyway, keep an eye on it, WCs & test! Good luck, I loved my histys.

wickette

AC Members
Sep 29, 2018
New York City suburbs
Real Name
Wicked
Hes not the smallest he is the newest (by 2 days),he eats a little in the morning, the others eat all dayllook for food all day but he doesnt join them, I dont know where he hides butchalf the time I cant find him.
After eating a tiny bit he goes comatose again. a pellet will land on his head and hell just lay there. The other loaches dont bother him but if theres food near him theyll push him out of the way, like hes a dead leaf.

I think I did the acclimate properly, 15 min floating bag sealed,15 min floating bag open. The i used picc line tubing (tubing much thinner than air tubing). to drip water in. 20 min to add a cups worth of water into the bag, then take a cups worth of water out of the bag, And repeat 3-4 more times

The pH at the store was 7.2, gH was 10. 3 of the loaches are doing great, one keeps to himself but is stil more pretty active.

wickette

AC Members
Sep 29, 2018
New York City suburbs
Real Name
Wicked
Mini update, hes still pale, still lays still 95% of the time. Still not hanging out with the other loaches, even less interested in food, I feed them twice a day , hell eat in the morning for 5 seconds, then doesnt bother. (the other loaches eat the full time and rummage the gravel for crumbs for 15min after the food is done).

Hes still flashing as often but not as energetically or for as long, he might be less itchy or too weak.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store