easiest livebearer to breed

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

which one is easiest?

• Guppy

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • Molly

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Platy

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • Swordtail

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters

bball4life

Hops
Nov 27, 2004
I have heard that guppies were the easiest, but I have never bred them so I wouldnt know so I say mollies. What do you all think?

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
endler's livebearer IMHO

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
what kind of poll is this?? :sad:
There are no Least Killies, Goodieds, Gambusia, Halfbeaks, Limias, Endlers and that is just to name a few that were missed. Heck, the Pike live bearer isn't even listed. bball4life there are more types of live bearers out there that are not sold at Petco or Petsmart. I say go ahead and give them a try. :D
I would have to say my favorite is the Merry Widow. But easiest? They are all pretty easy to breed but can also be hard as well. It depends on your fish, water quality and tank setup.

Last edited:

bball4life

Hops
Nov 27, 2004
sorry all who are looking at this and see that I missed quite a few I meant to put other and then you could say them.

Fish-Head Aric

Fish-Head Aric
Jul 8, 2005
Chehalis, WA USA
groups.msn.com
Guppies Hands Down!

Guppies are by far the easiest!

When I was a kid a friend and I each had a plain old gallon-sized glass jar. We dropped a small box-filter in, a smattering of gravel and a plastic plant. Finished it off with a pair of guppies and each of us had guppies galore within no time at all!

I'd say guppy is not just the easiest to breed, but overall easiest to care for, right up there with Siamese Fighting Fish/Bettas for ease of care.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Of the four choices listed Guppies are the easiest by far, I have found that endlers will outproduce guppies by a huge margin. I have not kept killie's so I can't say on them or many of the other less mainstrem livebearers.
dave

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
I'd say guppy is not just the easiest to breed, but overall easiest to care for, right up there with Siamese Fighting Fish/Bettas for ease of care.
Unfortunately this no longer seems true... due to excessive inbreeding of both species. Particularly guppies.

Fish-Head Aric

Fish-Head Aric
Jul 8, 2005
Chehalis, WA USA
groups.msn.com
PumaWard said:
Unfortunately this no longer seems true... due to excessive inbreeding of both species. Particularly guppies.
Then time to move to the west coast? We ain't got near as much inbreeding on this side of the country. Something to do with more wide-open spaces?

just kidding....

comrvf

i now have many fish
Sep 21, 2005
gympie (QLD) Austrlia
id have too say guppies just thow them in a tank and let them do their thing but ive just got some convicts are thats a diffrent story

blitzen25bm

AC Members
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
gambusia is the easiest ive ever bred. on that list it would be the endlers since they dont seemt o eat up all the babies like the guppies always do

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store