Easy plants, planning for 75 gal.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Keep yer pants on.. You'll get some input sometime this month. ;)

Flourite - Don't use the stuff . My tanks got builders sand base covered by a thin layer of pea gravel. Click the link in my sig to see. It works really well as I can gravel vac up when the black nasties get too thick. I also like the look of gravel under a planted tank. I guess you can layer just about anything the same way if you want. I tried out some straight sand substrates for a while and the plants kept coming out during water changes (I'm not that careful).

Now that you've got the plants and light figure out here's what's next.

Fert's

BobsTropicalPlants - He's on the forum and is pretty good. He's also got some of those plants on your list. They sometimes come with free snails as well!!!
Aquariumfertilizer - I've ordered from them as well. Good service and friendly.

Timer for the lights - If your gonna buy an expensive light get an expensive digital timer to match it. Just for asthetics of course. I use the cheap as can be ones with my DIY lights. Works like a charm.

Light reading for more information - http://www.barrreport.com/forum.php I swear I'll get around to reading the information on this site eventually. He does have some nice technical reading on the site. I've skimmed enough to know it's pretty good.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Awesome thanks for the info!

Anyone have answers to my questions that haven't been answered yet?
I look forward to your replies.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Quick update, I talked with Nick of buildmyled and he recommended a 48" wide angle plant spectrum light, and I opted for the manual dimmer adjuster switch as well.

I placed my order earlier this afternoon, I am super excited!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
My new light is very near according to ups! Can't wait to post pics and reviews after getting it setup.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

kiddevo

AC Members
Sep 7, 2010
On a side note.... Is it possible to keep plants alive without ferts? Just using the waste of the fish? Would love to have a few plants, but don't want any additional work...

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
On a side note.... Is it possible to keep plants alive without ferts? Just using the waste of the fish? Would love to have a few plants, but don't want any additional work...
Quick answer YES.

But extra emphasis on a few slow growing plants. Anubis sp. are probably the best adapted to these conditions. You also want to keep the light levels on the low side.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Judging by your primary 'wants', and your fish stocking list, etc., it seems to me that a low-tech environment with hardy plants, and pool filter sand as substrate (using mainly just root tabs) would fulfill all your needs.
Have a peek at my similar-sized tank with low/medium lighting, quartz-based white silica PFS, to give you some ideas/ and see if you like the set-up & plant growth:
Plants are, from left to right: A species of Limnophila (not sure which); Echinodorus (sword); Crypt; Anubias; Sword; Nymphaea (Lotus); Hygrophila Polysperma; Lotus; Sword.

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/Sept2011

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store