Easy Plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Thanks I will have to try java fern and java moss. My light is a coralife and im not sure what the wattage is but it is bright!
Other than those two I've found crypts, abubias, and vals to be very easy even in low light. Wisteria and other hygros are not that difficult either.

schaadrak

Lo-Tech Advocate
Sep 3, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Im not sure what kind of moss it was. They weren't on a string just sitting on the bottom of the tank.
Either way it should survive in your tank. If it looks like the ball has short green rabbit fur, its a true Marimo ball. If it looks like a wadded up ball of strings with tiny leaves, then its a wadded up ball of Java moss.

By the way, having a lot of light and no fertilizers or CO2 will not be good for your plants. If you can find out the wattage this will help us suggest the best plan for your tank.

Jspigs

There is always more to learn
Aug 5, 2009
Massachusetts
Real Name
Jacob
If it is a furry ball then it is marimo. If it is a ball of stringy moss tied to a string then it is java moss wrapped around a styrofoam ball.

killacross

AC Members
Apr 13, 2010
plants in a tank without CO2..whhaaaaaa???

i guess its ok tho...because once you add CO2 and watch your plants start growing and pearling...youll be hooked...and then its non-stop

but like mentioned before (any of the mosses really) flame, java, taiwan, christmas etc

java fern
anubias
glosso (considering enough light)
and sagittaria (again, w/ enough light)

CO2 will drive the speed of the growth in most cases...but it isnt always necessary

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Go to Exotic Aquarium off of Franklin (just south of the Campbell Soup Plant). They've got great livestock and plants.

There is also a PetLand off off Laguna & 99 that is doing pretty good now. They have one lady traveling around maintaining all of their tanks. The tanks used to be the worst I've ever seen but now are looking pretty good.

If you ask they will order in stuff special for you at both of them.

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Anubias and crypts (almost all crypts are low light, but a few need medium light) are really great and hard to kill. Crypts will usually melt at first, but leave them alone, and they will come back from the root.

captaincaveman9

Innocent and Pure!
Oct 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Real Name
Steve
Wisteria, crypts, water sprite, are all really easy plants, you'll just need to trim them time to time

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store