Eating problem ??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gaurang

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
India
Visit site
Now it more than 20 to 30 days (right fromt the day 1 when I got it from LFS) my Kissing Gouramis arent having any food just trying to have somthing on the glass. I feed them with flakes and palltes.
I havnt yet tried with live food do you recommand me to provide them live food ?

They seems very week.........:( PLEASE HELP

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
Are they trying to eat algae?if i can remember right,these fishes are hard to feed,almost all fishes will take live foods unless they are sick.I kept them before and it took much effort to feed them,i didn't suceed and they died of hunger.

a_free_bird73

AC Members
Jun 13, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
Kissing gouramies are diffecult to feed. They probably won't take live food and there eating habbits are a little different from other fish. They tend to suck (almost filter feed style) on floating flakes. They litterally swallow a lot of water at the surface and hope that some food will fall in their mouth.... It could take them several weeks to get used to eating in a community tank as usually the other fish will finish the food before they get to it... If the gourami is still young, they may not survive this experience.

couple of methods I have had a lot of success with:
1- Tubfix freeze dried cubes.. They tend to be a little harder for fish to eat so they float for a long time giving the kissing gouramies a chance to munch on them...
2- Use fresh vegetables, carrots, cucumber, lettuce, zuccinie etc... blanch the vegetables lightly by putting a couple of slices in a strainer and pour boiling water on it then dump it in the aquarium.... It might take them 24 hours to start eating it but they eventually do.... Don't boil the vegetables otherwise you will make them too soft and other fish will eat them first. you want them relatively hard so they don't get eaten quickly...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store