EBJD not eating =[

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
I have had him for about 2 weeks and he still doesn't eat when I put food in for him. I have fed him flakes, pellets, and bloodworms. The gouramis go crazy over the food but my poor EBJD just sits there. Any ideas? :nilly:

rmcder

AC Members
Jul 18, 2005
Did he ever eat for you? Does he spit out food after mouthing it?

You're not overreacting; ebjds are prone to intestinal parasites, and a non-feeding ebjd is a very bad sign. I would consider returning him and asking for a refund, because it's possible he won't survive. Your alternative is to try using Jungle Parasite Clear and hope for the best. Sorry to be so negative, but I've lost a LOT of them in the past.

You can get a second opinion and additional advice if you go to: http://dempsey.6.forumer.com/index.php

smitty

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Real Name
Jeffrey Smith
Camera Used
Olympus FE-370; Sony HDR-CX580
That concocked man made fish has been a big disappointment for everyone that has puchased them except 1 person I know. problems associated with them are sunken eyes, deformed eyes, deformed bodies, disproportionate fins, etc. I wish you luck since I see that they are over priced. In the future you will see there are many purebred cichlids that can give you just as much pleasure. If it is color that you are looking for look no further than the africans. They have some of the prettiest fish on earth without going saltwater.

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
I was looking at that cichlid simply because he gets along with my other fish well. He doesn't attack them like other cichlids would. I have 2 gouramis and 2 tiger loaches in with him. Are there any other cichlids I could get that have the same less aggressive attitude?

joel.uejio

AC Members
Jun 1, 2009
Real Name
Joel
It'a also possible your ebjd is still settling in. When I picked up my paratliapia she went a solid 3 or 4 weeks without eating much, but is now the biggest pig ever. Have you tried target feeding?....Dropping choice bits right in front of your jack so he'll have a chance to grab before the other fish can?......Good luck!

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Hopefully things work out. EBJD usually do best in a species only set up when they are very small. Once they get to the 3" mark you are pretty much home free. Contrary to popular belief they are NOT hybrids, just slective breeding. Sadly the line is still pretty weak. If I ever gave up my africans I would love to have an EBJD. The adults are AMAZING. The babies are just difficult to get going.

If you want a community cichid that is a bit easier look into apistos, kribs or rams. These guys will get along with your other fish and are all nice and colorful.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
mabye try a quarentine tank and feed him in there because hes the only one who can get the food

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
I got new cichlid food. It is slightly larger than the other food so the gouramis pretty much leave it alone because it is too big for them. My EBJD is spitting out most of it after mouthing it... bad thing? I mean obviously he's eating SOMETHING that goes into his stomach cause he's still alive after 3 weeks but I'm still worried.

rmcder

AC Members
Jul 18, 2005
My EBJD is spitting out most of it after mouthing it... bad thing? I mean obviously he's eating SOMETHING that goes into his stomach cause he's still alive after 3 weeks but I'm still worried.
Yes, it's probably a bad thing. That's standard behavior when they're having problems. The fact that he's taking the food indicates that he wants to eat. The fact that he's spitting it out indicates an issue with his digestive system.

Did you try Jungle Parasite Clear?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store