echonodermata tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MisaHasTheEyes

AC Members
Nov 21, 2008
I realize I might have spelled that wrong.

Looking for a possible 55 gallon saltwater tank with only inverts, like serpent stars, possibly some chocolate chip stars, and pencil or stub urchins. Perhaps a shrimp or two. We had a tank like this in the small aquarium I worked at before and it was always the best tank for me. Any species, other than the known blue linkia star that will hugely outgrow that tank size, I need to specifically avoid?

zachjohnson65

AC Members
Mar 31, 2007
Staunton, VA
Stay away from sea apples and most sea cucumbers if they get stressed they will evacuate their GI tracts which will probably poison your other animals. Make sure to keep the salinity and temps constant and you should never have a nuked tank. Sand sifter cucs should only be added to a that has been running for a long period of time or they will be have enough to eat.

MisaHasTheEyes

AC Members
Nov 21, 2008
Oh, was never planning on sea cukes at all (not after I stepped on one in Polynesia and ended up with guts all over my boots. Do you know that cuke guts look like SillyString?) and only the few urchins and some sea stars. But this tank is still a dream for me.

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
Well I'd stay away from the serpent he may eat other stuff
I did a feather star tank once.. found out feeding the buggers is a lot harder than you think. But be be careful of which stars you get as they can eat urchins.

zachjohnson65

AC Members
Mar 31, 2007
Staunton, VA
Yeh the GI and reproductive organs do look like slimy silly string. Good luck with your tank.

MisaHasTheEyes

AC Members
Nov 21, 2008
One day, one day. Idea was to have some chocolate chip stars, since they seem pretty hardy and cheap, some thick-spined pencil urchins, and some small serpent/brittle stars. Would live rock be needed?

Arakkis

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
SJ Cali
yes.. they need it to graze biofilm

I have a general sea star I need to get rid of =)

MisaHasTheEyes

AC Members
Nov 21, 2008
Hahah, the tank is still a dream for me, otherwise I'd say I'll take it!

Maybe I can convince the Mom to turn the pool into a marine pond.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store