Eclipse System 12 - worth it?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

99RedSi

AC Members
Dec 2, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
I want to purchase an Eclipse System 12 but I have a few questions:

1) If I do a non-planted tank, how would I make sure algae is non-existant?

2) How often do water changes need to be done if I have the maximum number of fish I can have for this size of tank? I'm thinking 2-3 Hatchets, 2-3 cardinal tetras and 2 cory's. Or maybe mix that around some ... I just want a few of each "layer" of fish type!

3) How *LOUD* are the Eclipse filters? This will most likely be in my room and I don't like loud filters ..even buzzing ones! I used to be in the hobby and had a 45g tall tank with an Eheim 2226. It was the BEST filter I've ever used and quietest too! I never heard a thing!

I don't have much time during the week and with working full-time (40 hrs) and going to school part-time, I need to find something easy to maintain and enjoy. Am I heading down the wrong path and throwing my money away with this?

I love aquariums but with all the reading I've been doing over the past couple years, they're such a huge hassle. I myself experienced this with my old 45g planted tank (no CO2, high lighting - that was my own mistake!).

Thanks everyone.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
1) Algae is hard to completely avoid. Feeding lightly, using clean water (ie, no nitrates/silicates, potassium--algae encouraging nutirents), and regular water changes will help. I don't have any unplanted tanks, so don't know how this plays into the equation.

2) The cardinals and cories would be happier in a group of more than 3. 6 is the recomended minimum for schooling fish. I'd say if you can't gaurantee a water change at least every other week, don't bother. It might not be REQUIRED that often, but if you schedule it that way, the fish will be better off and can afford the occassional lapse of 3 weeks between changes.

3. I never heard the filter on my eclipse hood, just the splash from the lower water level.

If you can plan 1/2 hour devoted to your tank twice a week, with some time in between to enjoy viewing it, I'd say go for it. If you don't have the time to enjoy it, just the time to maintain it, I would say to wait until your life is a little slower. I wouldn't like my tanks if all I got to do was the water changes.

99RedSi

AC Members
Dec 2, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Originally posted by OrionGirl
1) Algae is hard to completely avoid. Feeding lightly, using clean water (ie, no nitrates/silicates, potassium--algae encouraging nutirents), and regular water changes will help. I don't have any unplanted tanks, so don't know how this plays into the equation.

2) The cardinals and cories would be happier in a group of more than 3. 6 is the recomended minimum for schooling fish. I'd say if you can't gaurantee a water change at least every other week, don't bother. It might not be REQUIRED that often, but if you schedule it that way, the fish will be better off and can afford the occassional lapse of 3 weeks between changes.

3. I never heard the filter on my eclipse hood, just the splash from the lower water level.

If you can plan 1/2 hour devoted to your tank twice a week, with some time in between to enjoy viewing it, I'd say go for it. If you don't have the time to enjoy it, just the time to maintain it, I would say to wait until your life is a little slower. I wouldn't like my tanks if all I got to do was the water changes.
About #2. I suppose I don't want to do weekly water changes but I'll do every other week and *possibly* weekly. I'm just not sure yet.

mhmh

AC Members
Sep 19, 2002
The Poconos of PA
home.nyc.rr.com
Originally posted by 99RedSi

3) How *LOUD* are the Eclipse filters? This will most likely be in my room and I don't like loud filters ..even buzzing ones! I used to be in the hobby and had a 45g tall tank with an Eheim 2226. It was the BEST filter I've ever used and quietest too! I never heard a thing!
If this is any help, I have an Eclipse System 3 on my desk at work and it's REALLY silent.

dona

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
nj
Visit site
eclipse 12 gal

Hi. i currently have 3 eclipse aquarium systems 3gal ;6gal ;25gal I love them and have had no problem so far . also they are quiet. I did have one problem when i first received it so i called them, surprisingly the part was fed-exed within a few days. :D :D

Finzzup

AC Members
Dec 1, 2002
NW Iowa
Visit site
Originally posted by 99RedSi
How *LOUD* are the Eclipse filters?
I have a 6 gallon Eclipse in my office and I cannot hear it at ALL. It's very quiet!

I was a bit hesitant to start an aquarium, too. But after a month or so with this little one, I'm ready to go onto a MUCH larger one and everything I've read about and the advice I was given tells me that my small one is the 'difficult' one! :D

99RedSi

AC Members
Dec 2, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Re: Re: Eclipse System 12 - worth it?

Originally posted by Finzzup

I have a 6 gallon Eclipse in my office and I cannot hear it at ALL. It's very quiet!

I was a bit hesitant to start an aquarium, too. But after a month or so with this little one, I'm ready to go onto a MUCH larger one and everything I've read about and the advice I was given tells me that my small one is the 'difficult' one! :D
Yea maybe I'm just wasting my time. I do have a 55g sitting around but the dilemma is time: I *would like* to do a planted tank with lighting, CO2, etc but I'm busy every evening except Wed. I have Sat and Sun open, though. So my schedule is really heavy.

So I *NEED* a setup that will fit my current lifestyle. Something easy to maintain that doesn't take alot of time.

Suggestions anyone? I really want an aquarium, I just have to find the right one for me - know what I mean?

StevieM

Nov 29, 2002
lewiston, NY
Visit site
Ive got an Eclipse 6 gal and an Eclipse 2 on my 20 gal high and I've really got nothing but good things to say about them. No problems with noise at all , at most all I can hear is a very very faint whirring sound from the impeller and if the water level drops on my Eclipse 2 a little splash sound, but honestly its background noise now and it puts me to sleep at night. The Eclipse 6 I have doesn't move enough water to make a large splash , so if you are thinking a 3, I wouldn't even sweat it...you won't hear anything. As for headaches with the smaller 6 I've had mine for about 4 months now and no problems, just try and make sure the water temp is about the same when you do changes. The layout is really user friendly on them and changing filter materials is a snap. Good luck and I hope things work out for you

steve

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store