Eheim 2215 making small Hum

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Topher

AC Members
Mar 29, 2019
So this is my second eheim filter... I had a 2213 10 years ago but I sold it when I left the hobby.. and now I have a 2215 to go with my 55g tank.. anyways i don't remember them this loud.. 3 days old.. and it has a Hum like a fridge compressor running..? I took it apart.. and notice I can move the impeller left and right (or any direction) is this normal? I can't remember... Thinking of taking it back for warranty work.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Take it apart... take the impeller out and plug it in (just the filter head). If there is still a hum it's electrical, the only solution is to replace it, they shouldn't make this noise new. If there is no noise you can try applying some vaseline on the magnet. It will reduce mechanical noise caused by imbalances in the impeller..

Reactions: ustabefast

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Is it pumping water normally?

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
If this is a brand new filter, return for another unit.

Double check if the canister body or hoses are touching the stand.

I just checked a brand new Eheim 2217 impeller and it rotates a certain distance left and right before stopping. If yours can rotate more than 360 degrees, something is wrong.

Does the humming noise lessen when you press down on the canister top?

Topher

AC Members
Mar 29, 2019
Don't know what happened... I took it apart and removed the carbon and stuffed it film of floss... And now the thing is as quiet as anything....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store