EHEIM vs FLUVAL Canister Filters - What's your opinion???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

danielh144

AC Members
Jul 5, 2010
I thought i'd ask what people generally think about these two brands of canister filters.

I'm about to acquire an Aqualantis Evasion Column 50XL aquarium which is 150 liters (40 US gallon). It comes with a Eheim Professional canister filter I'm not sure exactly which model, but is there anything I should be aware of such as is it prone to breaking down, noisy etc.

Before I realised it was coming with the Eheim filter I was looking at the Fluval G3! Again has anyone had experience with this ???

So aside from the cost of both filters I'm interested in peoples opinions and experiences

mott

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
Eheims are the most quiet canisters made period(altho i haven't seen the new fluvals in action) The pro series are known to have issues with the priming button o ring breaking down but as with any can with a push to prime button you may eventually end up with the same problem, to combat this issue I NEVER use the prime button, if you have to prime the can all you need to do is suck on the output until water starts to flow into the can and your done.

Chrisk-K

Theodore P. Charles Fellow of AC
Dec 1, 2009
Maryland
Eheims are the quietest and most reliable canister filters. I won't buy anything else.

nguyendetecting

"Swim along with the snorks"
Jul 31, 2008
Tallahassee, Fl
www.youtube.com
I have both they all work great, fluval parts are cheaper and easier to find. Older fluvals have ugly hoses compared to eheim. All depends on what brand you perfer, I don't have much to say bout the new stuff though. All my filters are older and I'll use em till they die lol.

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
for the price of the eheim you shouldnt have to worry about the primer button failing. the fluval FX5 is one beast of a filter and is a very good bang for your buck and often can be bought new for 200.00 or a bit less.

tyler79durdan

Director Of Plantasia?
Dec 12, 2009
Michigan
aaronspet.webs.com
I'll use my fx5 on a 5 gallon bowl... i dont care! ill do it. just tempt me. lol:headbang2:

aXio

AC Members
Aug 20, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Real Name
Jakub
I've had a Fluval 304 for over 12 years and it's still running like a champ. I've NEVER had any problems with priming or leaking. Have no complaints about it what so ever.

I've never had an Ehiem before so I have no opinion on that.

With that said, I purchased two new tanks at the Petco sale for both of them I'm getting a "Perfect/SunSun" filter of ebay. It comes shipped to your door for 50$ which is over half the price of either a fluval or a ehiem. Everyone I've asked loves them so I hope I'll like them as much as my Fluval

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store