EI and water changes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Ok I know you are supposed to do 50 percent with EI

is there a way to calibrate it to 25-30 percent. Figure after plants rocks and substrate really is about 40 gallons.

issue is, and maybe it isn’t, that neons are very susceptible to water parameter changes?

out of the tap my pH is 6.2
After gassing off its 7.6
With co2 I run it at 6.6
After a water change of 25 percent it’s 6.8 until the co2 kicks in.

so not to stress the inhabitants to much I wondered if I could do EI with a smaller wc.
Or is there a better method? Not liking the all in one liquid ferts. I’d rather make my own and be able to leave nitrates out of one solution if need be.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
You can always mix your own liquid ferts.. normally separating micros and macros.

Or do PPI or something similar.

The whole point of EI us that you don't have to measure,or run out of any elements as there are plenty.. that's where the 50% WC comes in, to set a limit to how high it will go.

Reactions: IceH2O

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Yeah I did EI on my last tank.
Thought maybe I could get away with less change.

what is PPI? I will need to look that up. Must have meant PPS I don’t see ppi.

liquid ferts is a money waster. Get way more and more control with dry.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Dry vs. liquid vs. expense depends on how much you value your time.

I may have meant PPS, it was early, I am stuck in hospital, and haven't had much rest.

But don't rule out mixing your own liquid.its just as adjustable as dry.

Also bear in mind how the plants you want to use will take their nutrients, some will far prefer root feeding can water column.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Dry vs. liquid vs. expense depends on how much you value your time.

I may have meant PPS, it was early, I am stuck in hospital, and haven't had much rest.

But don't rule out mixing your own liquid.its just as adjustable as dry.

Also bear in mind how the plants you want to use will take their nutrients, some will far prefer root feeding can water column.
Ok I misunderstood. I thought you meant buying different liquids for each fert.
I definitely planned on using the dry to make my own liquid ferts. That way I can control the nitrates added.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Only liquid ferts I will use are the all in one varieties. Like Thrive, or Tropica or the like. I think both have versions with and without extra nitrates

Reactions: IceH2O

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
Although the pH changes you described are quite large, neons (unless recently collected from the wild and not well acclimated) are much tougher than you think.
However, you are talking about 7.6 after gassing, to 6.6 (what you run the tank at). That is too a large a change for most fish.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
My understanding is that the pH change from co2 doesn't really "count" the same.

By my estimation you can half dose EI dose & do 25-30% weekly WCs. Even Tom Barr doesn't keep up with full EI these days in most tanks...or that's what I understood him to say, it's been a while...& maybe less co2 too. I didn't really stay super focused since I don't do co2 or very good ferts, lol.

My lame idea of PPS is just mixing up macros separate (but adjusted for tank & tap conditions) from micros in water & dosing is pretty much the same...Is that close to right? Just trying to learn...& actually do it...

Reactions: FreshyFresh

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
The pH drop associated with CI2 injection is specifically because the dissolved gas creates carbonic acid, and hence a lower pH.

When it comes to wild caught fish, normally the concern is with the hardness of the water, and not specifically the pH, so CO2 is really little of an issue.

My understanding is that Tom Barr doesn't use EI any more, still uses plenty of CO2, and normally limits growth with the amount of available light and just making sure the amount of available ferts is enough rather than too much.

I would say to go ahead, pick something, try, then try to improve.. use less and ten more when you see deficiencies... At least if you want to keep your hands dirty.

Otherwise liquid all in one and a good root tab (or mediocre root tab)

Reactions: FreshyFresh
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store