FS electric blue crayfish (p. alleni ) - Ohio - shipping

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

timwag2001

AC Members
Apr 25, 2009
MA
what do you feed your crays? any tips for general maintanance?

my kid really really wants me to buy some for him from you but i dont know anything about them

theemon

AC Members
Jun 14, 2009
what kind of fish tanks do u have?
feel free to ask any questions in here, ill do my best to answer them.

what to feed them: short answer, anything. they eat everything u can give them. i feed mine mainly veggie flakes, but theyll eat anything. TIP- if you feed them mainly veggies in there diet there slightly less aggressive. but theyll eat meats too. -- long answer, any veggies(peas and carrots etc) any sinking food, any flake food, carnivore pellets, tree leaves(dead/dried and fresh- fresh rotts though) sticks, even "stems" wink wink. my friends get a kick out of hand feeding my crays stems.

general maintence: they very easy to keep creatures, they need a 10gal or bigger tank, with plenty of hiding spots to feel comfortable, and fast moving fish for them to "chance" even though they are slow moving crays. i keep mine with guppies and community fish and they rarely, if ever catch fish.

anything else?

timwag2001

AC Members
Apr 25, 2009
MA
i have a 55, 40, 29, 20, 10 and a 5 gallon tanks. my boy has a 29 that he put a mollie and 3 crays that he got from the local pond. the larger one of his crays ate the mollie and the other 2 crays and died shortly after. he fed them mostly worms that he got from our compost pile and zuchinni from our vegetable garden.

sounds like he was feeding them fine.

lol, "stems" huh?

can they / should they be handled? he constantly had his hands in the tank and was rearranging things to make hiding spots for them.

what about substrate? his tank has the medium sized natural gravel.

are planted tanks better?

theemon

AC Members
Jun 14, 2009
they can be handled, but you know they pinch right??
hands in tank are completely fine
any substrate will work, mine are in a huge variety, from bare to gravel
plants tend NOT to work, crays eat them/cut them

theemon

AC Members
Jun 14, 2009
wild crays also carry desiease(sp wrong) that tank bred crays have never seen=bad
also wild crays have better hunting experience/instinct. captive bred crays lack that

timwag2001

AC Members
Apr 25, 2009
MA
yeah, lol i know they pinch. i've been outdoors all of my life and have caught a million crays. i just never kept them.

my boy caught some and decided he wanted to keep them though. he doesnt care if they pinch him.

should i be worried that he had wild crays in the tank if i were to buy some from you? should i drain and sterilize? run a uv?

theemon

AC Members
Jun 14, 2009
i would choose a different tank then the one the wild cray was in. IF not i would try to drain the tank and im unsure how u mean sterilize(but if its not to hard YES)

but in all honostly, my buddy catches wild crays, and he has 1 of my blues with his wild crays, and the blue one did fine. but do u remember the native americans and our new diseases?

theemon

AC Members
Jun 14, 2009
sure, but you pay the shipping.

hey an update: i got baby babbies. like 1/10in just released/born yesterday/today

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store