Electric Blue Jack Dempsey

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CaliFishGuy1

Registered Member
Jan 25, 2017
I was sold this fish and told it was a electric blue jack dempsey. I heard they're a real shy fish and this fish hasn't been shy at all. I have never owned a Jack Dempsey before but from some of the pictures and videos of the regular ones on the internet, they seem to also have some blue on them. I'm not sure if the one I have is an electric blue anymore. What do you guys think?20170125_002430.jpg

WillLaw

Registered Member
Jan 28, 2017
I believe it's an Electric Blue. I have a 9" male that could be it's twin. Standard JDs usually have an overall gray coloration with much less actual blue. Shy? I've had several JDs over the years, but never a shy one. Its true that they sometimes seek their cave or preferred area of cover for a bit of peace, but whenever I approach the tank, they're one of the first fish to greet me. I can usually get them to take food directly from my fingers.

Reactions: CaliFishGuy1

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Could it be a "texas" cichlid? Electric blues of any species "usually" exhibit more all over blue solid areas.

Nice male of whatever kind. Pretty!

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
That seems to be an exceptionally well colored regular Jack Dempsey. The electric ones I've seen have solid blue with black spotting even on the head and fins. This one appears to be grey like the normal JD outside of the spangles.

CaliFishGuy1

Registered Member
Jan 25, 2017
My girlfriend bought a giant ship decor that she put in the middle of the tank. Surprisingly, he fits into it by sort of twisting his body to get into the hole. He has taken it over and I don't see him as often now because he likes to stay in there. I went to the store that he originally came from and they had a bunch of them that were around 1 inch and very bright blue. I'm wondering if they loose some of that electric blue as they get bigger.

Blue JD.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Be careful of the ship decoration as he grows. You may need to remove it for his safety. Watch for scrapes on his body as he tries to cram his body in there. What size is your tank?

Reactions: CaliFishGuy1

CaliFishGuy1

Registered Member
Jan 25, 2017
Be careful of the ship decoration as he grows. You may need to remove it for his safety. Watch for scrapes on his body as he tries to cram his body in there. What size is your tank?
Yeah, he really loves that thing. My current tank is only 75 gallons but I'm cycling a 135 gallon tank that I'm going to move him to. My girlfriend really loves to decorate the tanks but now he stays in the ship all.

HarleyGrl81

AC Members
Aug 16, 2017
IMG_20170816_151504.jpg I bought my electric blue Jack Dempsey a little over a year ago when he was about an inch and a half. He is now about 5 1/2 inches and he, out of all of my fish both salt and fresh, my absolute favorite! I never gave much stock into fish having personalities until I got him! He takes food from my hand, he follows my fingers or face around the tank, a few times a week I will hear a splash and see him smacking his tail at the top of the water. He is, by far, with the exception of my Pleco, the largest in the tank but he keeps the others in check making sure no one gets bullied. Aside from how stunning he is he is so personable! I even go up and make faces at him and he will come over to stare at me and then do his own little show of splashing around a bit! In my opinion, he is a fish to be sought after!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store