Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's worthless?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishndude

Keep the cat out the fish tank
Mar 21, 2010
Nashville,tennessee
Its not a hybrid, you should look it up from more than one reputable sorce. There is a lot of talk out there about this topic. my advice talk to a real pro breeder. There not worthless they just need more time invested in them,which is not for every one.

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
I had a tank of 7 2in EGJDs. I received then at around an inch. I am starting to think these are worthless fish. Reading all the eating trouble people are having with these fish. I lost one of my fish 2 days back I am currently watching that tank real close.

I have a 4 1/2 to 5in EBJD and he is the one I have been talking about the past 11 months. I picked him up at about an inch. He's a good eater never was able to get his eggs to hatch with a common. All he dose is hide now. I am thinking about forgetting the whole breeding idea on these fish. Just walking by the tank he freaks out. As you all know stressed fish aren’t growing to breed. I moved him into my 90 gal with his mate and the GT in the avatar to leave that tank open to try to pair off some of my other JDs.

Oh, If your interested in mixing GTs with a EBJD. In my case the GT does not like the EBJD at all but gets along fine with normal JDs.

At this point these fish seem to be shy and brainless. They hide from everything and stop eating at the drop of a hat. If you do make it to the final stages and breed an EBJD with a common that has the Blue jean, plan on a 15% turn out on EBJDs. The pro breeders destroy all the commons so the blue jean does not make it into the normal bloodline. I think I would rather have the fish they are destroying. I bet they have personalities?

For those of you who have had these fish please reply on your experiences with them. Maybe there is a lot of positive stuff I am not aware of. This would be a good spot to repost all the negitive stuff I have been reading as well.

I'm not giving up I am just mad right now and concerned about what I have been reading. I made this post for those of you who are thinking about buying an EBJD. Be warned about what you’re getting into.
Um I'm sorry to seem rude but most of this information is incorrect.
For one you should have known going into this that EBJD are not the easiest fish to care for many die before reaching 3in. The reason for this is all the inbreeding that has weaker there immune systems and caused internal deformities. One of the main things I'm concerned about when it comes to breeding these wonderful fish is not money. I see posts all the time of people recommending breeding EBJD as a way to make money. Its really not, if your not 100% prepared for the challenges of caring for these fish to start you will be out a nice sum of cash. The thing I look at while breeding a raising a spawn is how can I increase the survival rate in the long run. How can I get a whole spawn of EBJD to reach there max size and reproduce. To start never inbreed them AT ALL!! I currently have over 100EBJD fry growing out from just one pair of BGJD. That's pretty dang well for the second stage of my project. I also make sure to take extensive care of my Jacks many of you have seem my photos and the current EBJD I'm about to start breeding, almost a perfect specimen. I did not buy him from a trusted breeder, I took a chance and snagged him at 1in from the LFS. One thing that will help anyone raise these fish to maturity is CLEAN WATER when your waters clean your fish thrive! I would mever say EBJD are worthless you get your self a nice male and female BG as a partner you can easily make 175.00 for larger specimens. I noticed you said that a EBJD x BGJD (BGJD = a Jack carrying the recessive Blue gene) you get 50% EBJD 50% BGJD. Not sure where you got 15% from but I wanted to clear that up.

Also as to the EBJD being a hybrid it is not. It's been proven with Genetic testing, and is a natural variety of the Jack Dempsey. The only reason you don't find them in the wild is really easy to understand.

Your a bird flying above a pond. Below the surface there's an EBJD and a Regular Jack Dempsey swimming side by side. Which one do you think the bird will notice? The EBJD a bright colored fish is going to stand out more than the darker of the two. Darwin's Law of Survival of the Fittest.

Sorry for bringing back a dead post but I needed to clear this up. :thumbsup:

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Oh ummmm just to clear one lil thing up. If im not mistaken the Electric Blue JD isnt found in the wild cause there is so much genetic diversity. It is unlike the albino strain which almost every animal in the world caries and is seen from time to time sometimes more in some species then others. It is better compared to the King Cheetah. Look it up its a weird color variant that has occured due to there lack of genetic variation since potching and disease way way back limited there numbers.

JD's in captivity are so inbred that this color variant has occured. Which also explains why EBJD's are so delicate. But yea this color variant will never be found in the wild. Now an albino on the other hand may be found. With a lil luck and smarts a albino will stay in the depths where its out of reach of most birds and not seen.

Oh and someone KILL THE ZOMBIE THREAD it just doesn't die...

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
I gave up on them. I dont think I can afford them the care they need to thrive. I just wish they were as tuff as the regular ones. IMO - One of the most stunning FW fish ever!!!!!!!!!

PS - Why Kill it? If people want to talk about it and there is valuable info on here what would be the point? Isent that what these fourums are all about - Info sharing & discussion.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
I gave up on them. I dont think I can afford them the care they need to thrive. I just wish they were as tuff as the regular ones. IMO - One of the most stunning FW fish ever!!!!!!!!!

PS - Why Kill it? If people want to talk about it and there is valuable info on here what would be the point? Isent that what these fourums are all about - Info sharing & discussion.
Yes true but this thread has alot of old misleading information. I have read through every page since I was around when it was created. Nano Cichlids and I talk bout these's guys in other threads. Nano has proven in a short time that they arent super delicate if they come from good stock just like any other fish. More delicate yes but not super delicate.

Also It was more meant as a joke as far as killing it. If you were to see all my posts youde notice I like to joke alot after stating the facts like I did in my previous post. Sorry if you were misled by my actions. How I see it is if you cant have fun while learning then what is the point?:D

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
How I see it is if you cant have fun while learning then what is the point?:D
Very True!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :iagree:

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
Um I'm sorry to seem rude but most of this information is incorrect.
For one you should have known going into this that EBJD are not the easiest fish to care for many die before reaching 3in. The reason for this is all the inbreeding that has weaker there immune systems and caused internal deformities. One of the main things I'm concerned about when it comes to breeding these wonderful fish is not money. I see posts all the time of people recommending breeding EBJD as a way to make money. Its really not, if your not 100% prepared for the challenges of caring for these fish to start you will be out a nice sum of cash. The thing I look at while breeding a raising a spawn is how can I increase the survival rate in the long run. How can I get a whole spawn of EBJD to reach there max size and reproduce. To start never inbreed them AT ALL!! I currently have over 100EBJD fry growing out from just one pair of BGJD. That's pretty dang well for the second stage of my project. I also make sure to take extensive care of my Jacks many of you have seem my photos and the current EBJD I'm about to start breeding, almost a perfect specimen. I did not buy him from a trusted breeder, I took a chance and snagged him at 1in from the LFS. One thing that will help anyone raise these fish to maturity is CLEAN WATER when your waters clean your fish thrive! I would mever say EBJD are worthless you get your self a nice male and female BG as a partner you can easily make 175.00 for larger specimens. I noticed you said that a EBJD x BGJD (BGJD = a Jack carrying the recessive Blue gene) you get 50% EBJD 50% BGJD. Not sure where you got 15% from but I wanted to clear that up.

Also as to the EBJD being a hybrid it is not. It's been proven with Genetic testing, and is a natural variety of the Jack Dempsey. The only reason you don't find them in the wild is really easy to understand.

Your a bird flying above a pond. Below the surface there's an EBJD and a Regular Jack Dempsey swimming side by side. Which one do you think the bird will notice? The EBJD a bright colored fish is going to stand out more than the darker of the two. Darwin's Law of Survival of the Fittest.

Sorry for bringing back a dead post but I needed to clear this up. :thumbsup:
I get why you wanted to clear some things up, but do take in consideration that his post is 4 1/2 years old. Keeping ebjd's alive back in 2006 is not as easy at it is now. Thanks to breeding bg to eb they are much more hardy than they used to be.

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
True but this post was brought back not to long ago by another member, I found it lurking a few pages, I believe page 3. Didn't really notice when the OP had posted this till I was mid way trough my post and didn't want to let it go to waste. Sorry all!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store