Electric Blue Ram Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tim L.

Registered Member
Jun 30, 2020
Hi All,

I've a question about my rams, today I just noticed that they have slight colour change around the head and fins region. Also the red one started shadowing the yellow one. Does anyone know why they have changed colour?
WhatsApp Image 2020-06-30 at 3.53.28 PM.jpeg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
How big are they? They both look female to me right now but if they're small, like an inch or so, that could change. The lower fins on the "bluer" 1 look boyish & dark, but the tail & dorsal fins are "girly rounded", not long & pointy like males usually have. Often same sex cichlids try to look "male" & dominant for the larger, the smaller "female" just to avoid getting beaten up. Males do that sometimes, as females often mature earlier & can be quite aggressive to "not quite ready" males...but females can do that too.

Tim L.

Registered Member
Jun 30, 2020
Thanks for you reply :) they are around an inch big. Good to know that its normal behaviour.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
After looking some more the yellower 1 on the right may have a short but pointed dorsal fin & darker first rays on the dorsal fin. Could eventually be a male, but they're really too small to tell yet. If either (or both) get a pinkish tummy then female.

It's good you have plants to divide up areas until you (& they) can tell. Good luck!

Tim L.

Registered Member
Jun 30, 2020
cool, so are there any other key features that I should look out for to determine the sex of the rams?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
That pretty much covers it for me, lol. I've read there's something about "spangles" but I don't think that works with electric blue fish...I don't know...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store