Electric Yellow & Breeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dakota

Registered Member
Jan 11, 2004
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
Hi Guys,
I am new to this site, first time today.... I was wondering if someone could help me with my Electric Yellows...

The Pet shop sold them to me as a male and female, yet I have asked around to see how you determine the sex of them and everyone tells me different. Some say females have no black on the bottom fins where as the males do??? I have no idea,

The reason I ask, is cause they don't or won't breed.... anyone have any tips? How long till they will start to breed, i have had them for nearly four months now. The largest 1 the shop told me was the male, he is the dominant 1 of the 2, and he has black top and bottom fins, where as the smaller quieter one has a little black on top but has yellow/white fins on the bottom... Does this sound right for a male and female?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.. Thankyou

Raf

Malawi BadBoy~
Males and females look similar with vibrant yellow throughout head, body and fins. Black in dorsal, anal and pelvic fins. Some individuals may show an eggspot on the anal fin.

This species is not easy to sex. Males tend to be larger with a more pronounced forehead. Dominant males tend to show more black in the fins. Generally, a good candidate for venting.

These fish don't usually breed until about 2.5 to 3 inches or so. Also, like other Malawi Cichlids, they are harem breeders. So, one male for several females. I suggest you add more yellows to the tank, this may help if you are trying to breed these guys. Also, a proper pH (high...mine is at 8.2) and clean water are are important.

HTH a bit :)

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
I've never been able to tell the males from females by appearance. You can vent them (check their reproductive organs) but this takes some expertise and possible a jeweler's eyeglass.

If you do get a male and some females, they should breed readily, given good water conditions.

HTH,
Jim

Dakota

Registered Member
Jan 11, 2004
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
Thankyou so much for your feedback help!!

The ideas and tell tale signs yous have given me have helped, and now I am pretty certain I have a male and female. but as you suggested JSchmidt, I will get some more (hopefully) females to try and speed up the breeding....

i just have one more question for Schmidt and Raf? ........You both put HTH at the end of your message.... What does that mean? *stupid expression on my face now* Is it a fish term? Ha Ha?

Thanks again Guys!!

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
HTH = Hope This Helps

I've yet to see any visual cues that would allow anyone to distinguish yellow labs... Mine don't display the coloration differences that fish_e_o notes.

I can often tell the females when they're holding, but not otherwise.

Jim

fish_e_o

AC Members
Jun 12, 2003
Canada
Visit site
if you go to the picture of electric yellows in this site http://www.aquariacentral.com/species/db.cgi?db=fresh&uid=default&ID=0372&picture_view=1 you'll see a very white electric yellow. as for quality of my fish compared to yours ?????? i don't know maybe it's not very prominant on your fish, maybe i have a slightly different breed where the white shows up more it seems to work and i've never seen a female with pure yellow. then again Edmonton is not famous for getting good fish. it seems to work but look for the forhead bump too though not very prominant on fish less than 2.5 inches also Dakota's fish has white

Last edited:

Raf

Malawi BadBoy~
Originally posted by fish_e_o
if you go to the picture of electric yellows in this site http://www.aquariacentral.com/species/db.cgi?db=fresh&uid=default&ID=0372&picture_view=1 you'll see a very white electric yellow. as for quality of my fish compared to yours ?????? i don't know maybe it's not very prominant on your fish, maybe i have a slightly different breed where the white shows up more it seems to work and i've never seen a female with pure yellow. then again Edmonton is not famous for getting good fish. it seems to work but look for the forhead bump too though not very prominant on fish less than 2.5 inches also Dakota's fish has white
Have a read

http://communitytank.aaquaria.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2028

These fish are so overbred that the true color of the yellow morph Labidochromis caeruleus is difficult to obtain. They have just started recently to ship them again with prices in the range of $100 USD per fish!

These fish in the wild are super yellow, ELECTRIC! as the name suggests. No yellow with white... There are also white labs and of course the true L. caeruleus that is light blue, as the name implies.

;)

fish_e_o

AC Members
Jun 12, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I don't doubt that that is true in fact i know it is, but common electric yellows do have color variation between sexes. though what you say is true about $100 dollar fish, the ones you buy from the local pet store for 10 bucks are not the same.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store