Elephantnose dies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Frank_Carr

AC Members
Jan 13, 2003
Atlanta, GA, USA
Visit site
My elephantnose died overnight but he had been showing signs of distress for almost 2 days. I'd had him about a month. I'm not exactly sure what did him in. The likely suspects are either not eating or a mini-cycle the tank went through last week.

I had seen him eat in the past, particularly bloodworms. However, in retrospect, I'm not sure that he actually ate more than a few nibbles. The LFS I got him from said that he was eating frozen worms (tubiflex or blood) and I thought he was doing OK with them.

The tank, a 29 gallon, went through a mini-cycle last week. It hasn't been established long but it had gone through a cycle back in December. It was setup primarily with filter media and some gravel from existing tanks and cycled pretty quickly. However, I had sudden ammonia and nitrite spikes last Thursday with both ammonia and nitrite at 1ppm. Nitrates were at 5-10ppm (our tap water usually reads 5ppm). No new fish were added at the time and nothing else should have disturbed the tank so I'm not sure why the spike happened. I placed a used filter pad from another tank at the filter intake and did daily 10-20% water changes. By Sunday, the ammonia and nitrates were back down to 0 and nitrates were between 10-20 ppm. On Wednesday evening, I noticed the elephantnose have trouble.

The elephantnose seemed more weak than struggling to breathe and none of the other fish (a pleco, dwarf gourami, 2 mollies, 2 cherry barbs) showed any distress at the spike. He would float along in the tank current, only swimming when disturbed. I moved him to the 5 gallon to issolate him but he continued to weaken, showing the classic 'fish in distress' signals, and he expired this morning.

I think what I did wrong here was that I thought the tank was better established than it actually was and I made the mistake of taking a LFS's word on how well the fish was feeding. I should have also been more watchful about his eating and probably provided live foods.

I'm not sure if I'm going to get another elephantnose, even though I'm intrigued by the species. I'm concerned that I'd get another fish that won't eat or that would die if the tank chemistry wasn't just right.

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
Elephants are reeeeally sensative. The mini-cycle could've done it. I know they've been used in municipal areas to moniter water conditions. When the water is bad, they emit more electro-pulses. How big was he?

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Are they sensitive? I dont know.. I have HIGH nitrates in my 60 gallon tank, and he is fine after a YEAR. Whats your ph like? they enjoy 6-7 ph with a temp of about 78 degrees.

Also, try feeding BRINE shrimp instead. REMEMBER!!!! Elephant noses are ALL wild caught, and some will NOT respond to frozen food. I would try them again, but try Brine shrimp. Also, if not fed after a certain time, THEY WILL NOT EAT not matter what...

PS: NEVER believe anything that someone who is trying sell you something. If thats the case, is it ok to put a oscar in a 10 gallon tank? Thats what I heard in a LFS when told to a customer setting up a tank (he also suggested a COMMON pleco). Do you think that statement the LFS told the Customer is the truth?

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
It is a good idea when you go to pick out any fish from the mormyrid family to have the fish store clerk feed it in front of you, so that you can see that it eats properly. This is true of any sensitive or difficult to feed fish.

Also, yes, they are quite sensitive to nitrIte and ammonia, but they, like any other fish, can deal with some nitrates without a problem. (Incidentally, Jamison, if you do a water change, your nitrates will come down... it will extend the life of your fish...)

Another thing to point out is that since these fish are sensitive to magnetic fields, NEVER use anything metal in the tank or for water changes. My mother lost her dolphin whale because she used a metal pan to add water to the tank (her regular water bucket had gunk in it because their roof sprang a leak and that was what was handy...).

Her current e-nose and baby whales eat tubifex cubes and freeze-dried bloodworms with no problems. It's just a matter of getting one acclimated to it...

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
I do water changes of 15 gallons a week on my 60 gallon. I also removed 5 5inch dist. affinis from the tank a few days ago. The NItrates STILL rate high..perhaps it does take a few water changes to reduce it to the level it will level off at. Hopefully so.

Frank Carr: DONT GIVE up on these guys!!! They live up to 30+ years and will give you plenty of enjoyment!

Pinball: Your mom keeps the elephant nose AND the baby whales TOGETHOR??? I hear they will fight since they are both electrical fish?

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
Jamison,

55 gallon tank. One 3-inch e-nose, 2 1-inch baby whales. They've got territories marked out pretty well now, although they argued a bit at the beginning. Here's a neat one for you, her e-nose eats from the top of the water (sticks his whole face out of the water, cute as can be...)

Also, you've got a pm...;)

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Sounds like a GREAT setup! Hopefully, as they grow, they will stay "friends" :)

I got a secret messege from you :) Oh joy! I hope its a good one! But your married right? I know your expecting :)

I will check your PR right now :)

chaynes

AC Members
Jan 17, 2003
Zebulon, NC
Visit site
My elephant nose loves live blackworms, next time try that with an elephant nose. It's nowhere near expensive to feed them the blackworms since at most LFS you can get a months worth of blackworms for $1. I throw in a bunch and some dig into the sand where they hide until the elephant nose eats them several days later.

AS far as high nitrates go, doing 10% water changes until they go down works great or try locating the source of the nitrate buildup(substrate, filter pads, uneaten foods). I've done single 75% water changes to tanks with high nitrates without any harm being done the fish. Some fish are more sensitive to large water changes in the first place but most aren't so use that as a guide.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store