Emersed aquarium ideas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

maaltan

AC Members
Sep 11, 2004
I am currently thinking about setting up an emersed planted aquarium out of my long abandoned 29g setup. I think I want to move itnto a bay window (it has very good sunlight.) and make it lightless/filterless/near maintenance free setup.

My current thoughts have the plants being the main feature and have them grow out the top. I might add some small fish(perhaps least kilifish.. I have had those before and this idea is similar their native environment if I remember right.)

I was thinking of some dwarf Iris and maybe some rushes I would like summer time blooming with a winter rest period.( The space I will keep this in will range from 85f to 50f ).

Design wise thinking tall stuff(maybe 1-2f higher than tank lip.) in back with shorter or maybe submersed species in front. Tank will be 1/4 to 1/2 full...again perhaps varying to emulate seasons.

So, I am posting this asking for some inspiration perhaps 0n the specific species I should try and where I might acquire them.

Also, I am a bit confused about what substrate I should use. Since it will be filterless, perhaps play sand and put plants in pots? if I understand right, the rushes will consume the silica/minerals from the closed system hopefully minimizing buildup concerns.

Again fish is not an immediate concern, but I don't want to make a decision that will exclude them.

Thanks for reading my rambling mess. :)

Reactions: Kimunaffected

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Sounds like a great plan!

I'm not sure the height of a 29g is an ideal setup for this, but I'm sure you could make it work.

Not really emersed, but I've got pothos growing out of a large bubbler breeder box that hangs off the back of my 75gal I've had it like that for years now. I've probably trimmed and tossed out a mile's worth of pothos at this point given it will grow around the room.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It could be awesome! Look up paludariums. A club friend had a really nice tank (75g?) with all kinds of cool plants (orchids, crypts etc) & pretty killifish (not least) in a few inches of water. I "think" his tank had a filter with a spray bar return along the back to water/mist the plants.

We're going to need pics please!

• Love
Reactions: Kimunaffected

northernlady

AC Members
Jan 24, 2020
when you select your plants pay attention to the depth of water each species likes. Water iris wants shallow water where water lilies like deep , etc. you can find some neat plants at Home Depot or Lowes garden section.Enjoy!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store