Emily's Pond Build Log

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
That blows. You could also use Miracle Grow organic potting soil. Just soak it before hand and skim off debris that don't sink.

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
based on my limited experience with tubs, i would expect that miracle grow would have such a high fertilizer content that it would take months to get rid of the algae bloom.

i think you would want to start out with something fairly non-nutrient rich -- well, non-nitrate rich -- until the big plants are established and could out-compete the algae for food. early on the few fish you have aren't going to be generating a whole lot of nitrates, so running the pots with low nutrient level in the beginning should avoid giving the algae a leg up.

minimal (zero) nutrients would be something like sand + coconut fiber (coir) . maybe mix in some aragonite to provide minerals. they sell coir in bricks that expand hugely when wet, and shrink hugely if they dry out. (not a problem in a pond but really annoying in regular pots) you can add fert tabs as needed after the plants are established

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
Shred the coir and mix equal with sand? Or something else? I'll see what I can hunt down. Like I said - zero luck with the aquatic soil thus far. I think the Atlanta Water Gardens place has it but I really don't want to drive 2 hours to get soil for the pots... Especially if I can make do with something else in the meantime. I can buy it online but shipping is pricey. I've got sand already, so if mixing that with the coir and argonite will work then I may try that, assuming I can find those items.

I'm already in the midst of an algae bloom in the pond so I don't really want to encourage that to get worse or continue longer if I can help it. The water lettuce and hyacynths are still too few (no new ones yet) to do anything about the algae, and the few potted plants that I have are not big either. I definitely need more. Still taking suggestions on what else to put in there. :) Assuming I can buy it at a reasonable price online since nowhere local has anything for the plant ledge.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
Google search "Hydroponic supply" in your area. They will have everything you need. If not, they will know where to get it.

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
Ok I did that and came up with one store in my area. Their website lists their growing media: http://877gehydro.com/hydroponic-supplies.php?c=growing+media

None of it is familiar to me though. No hydroton or other "clay" based materials I don't think? Thoughts on if any of those will work in the pond?

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
you don't want the rock wool.

Cocogro's web site isn't explicit about what the actual material in made of. they also sell (composted?) ground coconut shells, but from their their description and the descriptions given by their distributors i would say that their product is aged coir fiber that has been chopped to a ~3/4" length, aged outdoors, and then washed to remove the fines and salts.

this would probably be a better material than the raw coir bricks which you should be able to find at The Home Depot or Lowe's, which i would guess are "new" fiber. I've only seen coir in "bricks" which are about 4" x 8" x 8"; my local store has several variants for different purposes (orchid mixes, cacti, seedlings, general use) but as far as i could tell the bricks were identical -- only the shrinkwarp wrapper changed.

$11 / 5 kg online is probably about what you would pay locally for 5 kg worth of bricks

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
first you need to wet out the coir. it expands about 5X the compressed and dry volume -- sucking up that much water -- so you pretty much can't do anything with it until it's done soaking. it happens pretty fast, you probably only need to give it an hour or so in a pail or really big bowl of water. then knead sand into it to at least 50:50 by volume sand, adding water as needed because the kneading will force more water into the fibers.

plant your plants in the mix to the recommended depth, adding a slow-release fertilizer tab for heavy root-feeders like lilies / lotuses, irises, and gingers but not for plants that can efficiently suck their nutrients right out of the water (most of the "oxygenators"). cover the top with a layer of pea gravel or one of those plastic covers to persuade the goldfish to leave the roots alone.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I got coconut chips from Ebay for my orchids. I agree it would be a good medium if you can keep it from floating away. It's inert though, so you need root tabs or something. But then you would too if you used the Aquasoil.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store