Enough Filtration?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wolfnature

AC Members
Dec 20, 2002
Everett, WA
Visit site
Hello everyone.

I just got 2 Penguin 170 filters as a present for my 65 gallon tank. This seems sort of borderline as enough filtration and was curious what some of your thoughts were.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Those filters are good, but canister filters are good too. The canisters have more room for filtration media

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
What kind of fish and how many of them do you have in your tank?

Assuming you have a moderately - heavily stocked tank, you do not have enough filtration. For HOB (hang on back) filters, generally you want to aim for a turn over rate of around 10 times per hour. You currently have about a 5-6x turnover rate. I'd suggest adding another filter to your system... An Aquaclear 300 will do quite nicely. Over my years of fish keeping, I've found aquaclear filters to be very good at mechanical filtration, quite realiable, pretty quiet, and quite inexpensive.

HTH
-Richer

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
That would be better. I would consider though getting an Emp 280 and an Emp 400 because they are like a step up from the penguins. But, geting 2 330s would be fine. Just stating my opinion. Another option could be to trade in one penguin 170 and get an AC 500. Its all up to you.

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
Originally posted by 80gJoe
Those filters are good, but canister filters are good too. The canisters have more room for filtration media
I couldn't agree more. IMHO if you are planning on changing your HOB's all together. Spend the extra $15-$20 and get a canister. Then you will have more options than you will have with a HOB.

andruboz

Senile Member
Jan 6, 2003
texas
home.satx.rr.com
[sorry i dont know how to do the fancy quoty thing]

"I couldn't agree more. IMHO if you are planning on changing your HOB's all together. Spend the extra $15-$20 and get a canister. "

the difference in filters locally is more like the $50 to $100 range.

i guess big als is the great equalizer but even there you'll spend
$75 or $95 and still wont have the wacky magic biowheel. and you have to worry about a hose incident that drains your tank and soaks your house.. course that's me being a little bit paranoid.

NJ Devils Fan

#1 Devils fan
Oct 28, 2002
Yonkers, NY
members.tripod.com
andruboz, all that magical wheel does is provide more area for beneficialy bacteria to grow. I think that some of the filter boxes falsely advertise the bio wheels. On my pengiun 125 box, it says that the wheel instantly kills ammonia and nitrite. That's not true. The bacteria on the bio wheel are what break down the ammonia and nitrite. That is a bit misleading.

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
Originally posted by andruboz
[sorry i dont know how to do the fancy quoty thing]

"I couldn't agree more. IMHO if you are planning on changing your HOB's all together. Spend the extra $15-$20 and get a canister. "

the difference in filters locally is more like the $50 to $100 range.

i guess big als is the great equalizer but even there you'll spend
$75 or $95 and still wont have the wacky magic biowheel. and you have to worry about a hose incident that drains your tank and soaks your house.. course that's me being a little bit paranoid.
Sorry I miss quoted the price. It is roughly $50 difference at Big Als. As for the "a hose incident that drains your tank and soaks your house.. " I have never heard of. I think you are thinking of a Wet / Dry Filter.

The reason why I suggested the canister is that you have more options of media besides a cartridge and a "magic wheel". The bio wheel is good, but how much is someone going to spend on cartridges per month? You end up spending a lot more cartridges than you would for media for a canister.

I do use HOB's , but they are for mechanical filtration only. I use AC's with 2 sponges only. All my other filters are canisters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store