Estates Sand?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

N8DOGG

Peaches !!
Jul 5, 2004
NY
Visit site
Estes Sand?

I have seen estes gravel at most if not all of my LFS, but Has anyone used estates sand? It looks cool, different colors, I would use black, but has anyone tried this as a substrate?

Last edited:

ChicoRaton

Se?or Member
Jun 5, 2004
Idaho, USA
www.hazy8.com
I've never heard of estates brand... is it estes perhaps? I didn't even know they made sand, but if it's in your LFS, I'd assume it's aquarium safe. I've never used it though

750t

AC Members
May 24, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
I have the very fine gravel in my 150. Its not quite sand but much smaller than normal store bought gravel. The only problem I had was with the small python tube, it would suck up too much and get clogged. I got a 24 inch tube took care of that. I really like it, oh yea its black.

BumbleFish

AC Members
Aug 16, 2003
Visit site
I use Estes white sand. I would have purchased pool sand or gone to the beach for it, but I like the white sand. Personally, I'm a sand substrate fan. It really helps keep a tank clean, since debris is less likely to settle between sand grains, and will instead eventually find its way to your filter, or the Python.

One thing, if you use HOB filters, it's a good idea to turn it off when you water change, since HOB filters have the impellor before any media. Or just put a prefilter on it.

HTH

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Black only. IMO.

I've used Estes stuff before. I really like it. I have one of their very fine gravels (kind of like kosher salt) in the 29g and their gravel in all of my non planted tanks. Good stuff.

aquak

aquak
Nov 4, 2004
upstate New York
i used their black sand and it turned my water grey. They're sending me a refund, but my fish are still in a bucket. . . .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store